[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alien Virus and Bacteria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1480867283869.png (317KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480867283869.png
317KB, 600x600px
Why is it whenever this topic comes up people assume alien virus are compatible with earth biology enough to be a threat?

You would think an alien virus would have an evolutionary path divergent enough from earth life that alien viral infections are a total nonissue.
Earth life all came from the same place but earth virus still don't have the ability to leap across lifeforms and infect everything.

So why do people believe that an alien virus is a threat to humanity any more than, say, some extremophile bacteria/virus from earth?

I legitimately can't understand. Convergent evolution means that potential aliens would likely even share the same DNA and cell structures as earth life or something that earth and alien viral forms can exploit interchangeably? Really hard to believe considering that it doesn't work that way for earth life, which are extremely similar on those levels.
>>
I've thought this for years and everyone I talked to about it to just said "It's still a virus." There are viruses and diseases only certain animals can get because those viruses evolved to infect those animals. I can't imagine a virus from another world being adaptable enough to be a threat to us considering how different we would be from the species of its world.
>>
If the other life forms are carbon based, they probably have some kind of virus that could affect us, or other earth animals. Not necessarily saying it's going to kill us, because obviously it's not designed to do that, but it could infect us and mutate into something that could. Or not. It's all a toss up anyway.
>>
>>8582939
>carbon based

cell based would make more sense
also
if we ever encountered some kind of "universal" extraterestiall virus it could be very dangerous for all earth life
>>
>>8582939
>If the other life forms are carbon based, they probably have some kind of virus that could affect us, or other earth animals.
Generally viruses are very specific about which organisms they can infect.

>>8583027
>if we ever encountered some kind of "universal" extraterestiall virus it could be very dangerous for all earth life
Why? Universality generally implies a lack of optimisation. "Jack of all trades, master of none" and all that.
>>
The fun thing about infinite possibilities in an infinite universe is that any question about aliens can be answered with "probably". It's entirely possible an alien virus can not only infect humans but be completely undetectable and incurable by modern medicine. Sure a virus found found on some random alien world probably won't even be able to get inside this thing called a "cell", but do you really want to take that chance?
>>
>>8582917
>earth life all came from the same place
>>
>>8582917
>Why is it whenever this topic comes up people assume alien virus are compatible with earth biology enough to be a threat?

Blame War of the Worlds.
>>
>>8583047
thats not far from truth
only exception are some bacteria with arsen based dna livikng somewhere in a lakie witch name I forgot

>>8583037
>"Jack of all trades, master of none"
thats why I said it could, not have to
it could just work like living cells based grey goo
>>
What if there are alien microbial spores that germinate when exposed to damp, moist places. These could potentially be fatal even if they don't have a biology compatible with ours.
>>
I could see bacteria being able to infect FAR more likely than viruses.

Bacteria don't technically depend on the host's cells to replicate, just the host's nutrition. As long as the host has some kind of carbon source for the bacteria to eat, I think a bacterial infection might be possible.
>>
>>8583076
>only exception are some bacteria with arsen based dna livikng somewhere in a lakie witch name I forgot

That was dismissed as bullshit years ago. They simply use arsenate to degrade some cell components and use the resulting phosphorus on the DNA molecule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFAJ-1
>>
>>8582917
>Convergent evolution means that potential aliens would likely even share the same DNA and cell structures as earth life or something that earth and alien viral forms can exploit interchangeably?

No, it means that despite having completely different DNA they would likely share similar features with other organisms.
>>
Having water and living tissue (and the nutrients that come with them, sugar, minerals, etc) is probably enough for most fungal or bacterial organism to thrive. Having no defense against foreign organisms would likely mean our orifices would be feeding ground to them.
>>
>>8582917
Are you telling me that little ayylmaos could infect me?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.