[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So 2016 was a second longer..

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

Because the rotation of earth slowed down a little, but I thought what determined a year was how fast you went round the sun, not how fast the earth spins 365 times.
>>
We count by how long it takes position x on the earth to loop back around the sun. Not the center of the earth.
>>
>>8582160
Seconds are now defined by the vibrations of a cesium atom. This stays constant regardless of what is happening in the solar system. So if the Earth's rotation (spin) slows down, it takes more time to pass a day - when the Sun appears in the same spot.

This is entirely independent of how long it takes for the Earth to revolve (orbit) the Sun.

However as the length of the day increases, it will eventually take noticeably fewer days to define a year, although still the same number of seconds (barring orbital changes).
>>
>>8582160
Actually it was a whole day longer <:^]
>>
File: iers.png (49KB, 600x1350px) Image search: [Google]
iers.png
49KB, 600x1350px
>>8582160
>earth slowed down a little
strangely irregular, in the middle of the year the rotation speeds up for a month or so, faster than 'the clock'.
>>
>>8582160
So I basically lasted a second less in bed? I had sex between 23:58:57 and 00:00:04

even fucking celestial bodies are trying to rob me of my achievements.
>>
>>8584472
It was a little shorter measured by the mean solar day. In terms of atomic clock time, your delusion of stamina remains intact.
>>
>>8582160
Time
Itself
Isn't
Real
>>
>>8584004
hmmmmmmm really makes you think
>>
File: dance of the polhode.png (48KB, 1800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dance of the polhode.png
48KB, 1800x600px
>>8585299
Spatial direction of the axis of rotation.
>>
File: Sphere_rotating_transparency.gif (399KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Sphere_rotating_transparency.gif
399KB, 200x200px
>>8582160
Okay, so frame it like this:
If Earth was spinning really fast but still went around the sun at the same rate, how many days would be in a year? More than there are now, right? A 1000-day year in the same amount of time is a faster-spinning Earth, right? So, having one extra second is not indicative of a slow rotation; it's actually a little faster than that 365-day year. If the Earth was spinning faster, we'd gain days in the year, and if the Earth was tidally locked, we'd lose them altogether.

>>8582238
The tidal friction from the sun and moon that slows the planet's rotation has been getting exponentially smaller for a long time, compounded by the fact that the moon's been slowly moving away from us. Losing a day on our calendar will take a lot longer than losing our leap year.
>>
>>8585175
Oooo... someone just discovered shrooms.
>>
>>8585557
You're hurting my brain. Please stop.
>>
>>8585647
It's a lot easier to hand wave a bunch of gravity dynamics for someone asking and just say time isn't real. It won't belittle any principles and gets the point across. I haven't actually done shrooms but I would definitely like to try.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.