[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Riemann's rearrangement theorem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

So for our partial sum Sn, we can get any real number depending on the order we sum the terms of the series as long as the sum of positive and the negative terms separately diverge.
But there seems to be a fundamental point missing here. I get that for example for the series in the pic we can reach past 10 just by adding a number of positive terms, then add one negative and continue to oscillate around 10.
Yes, but we are essentially assigning a limit to the partial sum of the series to determine the convergence. However limit assumes an inherent "after somehow completing the impossible task of reaching infinity".
Take the infinite sum of the series (1/2)^n for example. We could write the partial sum formula for this as:
1/1/2^n, and its limit as n tends to infinity is 1. We can see that no matter the n, the actual value will never be 1 though, so the limit operation is a convention assuming the complition of the infinite steps.

I mean, exactly as many unused/extra negative terms are stacking up in the alternate harmonic series as we use up the positive terms and we, somehow completing this infinite sum implies that we have to use all the terms we had, which would return us to an S of absolute convergence, not a conditional Sn.
>>
>1/1/2^n
oops
1-1/2^n*
>>
File: logie.png (18KB, 1060x563px) Image search: [Google]
logie.png
18KB, 1060x563px
>>
Sounds like an interesting question OP, but I really couldn't figure out what you're asking.

>However limit assumes an inherent "after somehow completing the impossible task of reaching infinity".
My best guess is that your issue will be resolved once you see than an argument by induction removes any "go to infinity problems". But that's just a guess.

Can you reword your question more formally?
>>
>>8581992
I think you don't have a correct intuition for limits. Limits are very simple if you remember the actual definition. Consideration of infinite series as "infinite sums" is a perception that can occasionally be recouncilatory with certain physical phenomena that can be modeled with infinite processes. In general it is not so nice to think of it that way.
>>
>>8581992
>However limit assumes an inherent "after somehow completing the impossible task of reaching infinity".
No it doesn't. Look at the definition of limit.
>>
>>8581992
>convention assuming the completion
that's where you're wrong
it would do you good to actually learn math instead of stating things about topics you don't understand
read an introductory analysis book
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.