[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is [math]pi/arctan(4/3)[/math] rational? Post proof.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: snoopdogg.jpg (6KB, 304x166px) Image search: [Google]
snoopdogg.jpg
6KB, 304x166px
Is [math]pi/arctan(4/3)[/math] rational?

Post proof.
>>
>>8581652
You see that little preview LaTeX button? Use it. Also, the homework board is

>>>/hm/
>>
>>8581652
What I meant to write is [math]\frac{\pi}{arctan(\frac{4}{3})}[/math]

Fucking latex
>>
>>8581658
Fuck off, its a math question and Wolfram doesnt have an answer to it. Google doesnt bring up any answers.
Im fucking curious, you arrogant shit
>>
If pi/arctan(3/4) then it can be expressed as some a/b where a and b are whole numbers

Not possible

QED
>>
>>8581669
>Not possible
But how can you prove that?
[math]arctan(\frac{4}{3})[/math] might just be expressable by some [math]\frac{a*pi}{b}[/math] where a and b are whole numbers...
>>
>>8581750
lol Americans...
>>
>>8581750
Let [math]p\pi \in \mathbb{Q}[/math] with [math]0 \neq p \in \mathbb{Q}[/math].
Then [math]p^{-1}p\pi=\pi \in \mathbb{Q}[/math].
>>
>>8581774
that's completely retarded. p= 2/pi
>>
>>8581774
>>8581810
This shit is both retarded and irrelevant. He's asking if [math] \arctan \frac{4}{3} [/math] is a rational multiple of [math] \pi [/math].
>>
>>8581810
>p= 2/pi
How do you know that [math]2/\pi[/math] is rational you moron?
Mine is a proof by contradiction that that [math]p\pi[math] is not rational.
>>
>>8581840
Well you've missed the point there. He was trying to say that if you assume that p is rational than the question is trivial (literally exercise 1.1 in Rudin). But you can't just assume that [math] \arctan (4/3) [/math] is rational and then go on to show that [math]p \pi [/math] is rational. And that's what anon was trying to show, that the product of two irrational numbers could still be rational.
>>
File: productsum.jpg (58KB, 605x412px) Image search: [Google]
productsum.jpg
58KB, 605x412px
>>8581652
Only if arctan(4/3) is irrational. I'm trying to prove that it is irrational but it's 5:30 am where I'm at so I might get too tired to post it. I'll post the proof if I figure it out though
>>
>>8581816
The only guy who gets it... sigh

Anyway, pi/arctan(x) would be rational only for values where arctan(x) is (p/q)*pi with p,q=/=0, for it would equal q/p and thus be rational.
Sorry about the shitty notation, I'll figure out the LaTeX tags after this.
Now arctan(4/3) would roughly mean tan(x) = 4/3 = sin(x)/cos(x) where sin(x) = k*4 and cos(x) = k*3 where 0<k<1.
Simplest case is sin(x)>cos(x) and x = n*pi [ arctan(4/3) IS x) ] so pi/2 > x > pi/4.
Ah fuck, I feel like I'm kind of on the right track but can't follow this anymore. Need a notebook
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.