[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey persons, I was wondering if it is possible to solve for k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: e.png (11KB, 1062x597px) Image search: [Google]
e.png
11KB, 1062x597px
Hey persons,
I was wondering if it is possible to solve for k here.
Feel free to crap all over my existence if this doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>8581136
[math]\displaystyle \int_k^{\infty} \frac{1}{\Gamma(x + 1)} \; dx = e[/math] is what you want, unless you're serious about having a domain [math]\displaystyle (k, \infty) \cap \mathbb{N}[/math].
>>
>>8581152
Yes, I was wondering about naturals, probably only because of my lack of understanding.
x! for x > -1 is well-defined though, correct?
I guess this is beyond me, but now I have reading material on the gamma function.
Thank you anyway :)
>>
Using the Gamma function
k = -0.597
is quite close
>>
>>8581189
Yea that's how far I got with integrating up to 10^6 of x! and playing around with manipulate in Mathematica for the lower bound.
Crude, but effective, I guess.
>>
>>8581189
>597
that looks very familiar
more digits?
>>
File: 106.png (27KB, 1176x884px) Image search: [Google]
106.png
27KB, 1176x884px
>>8581206
>>8581207
forgot the picture.
>>
There's a lot of k's that work OP.

>>8581207
>that looks very familiar
>more digits?
Just type it into Wolfram Alpha and it will give you some closed form approximations.
>>
File: damni.jpg (510KB, 2095x3000px) Image search: [Google]
damni.jpg
510KB, 2095x3000px
>>8581206
I take it you started with
[math] \sum_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{1}{x!} = e [/math]
and passed over to
[math] \int_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{1}{x!} [/math]

That's the right time for Ramanuja magic, telling you

[math] \int_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{1}{x!} = e - \left( \dfrac{1}{2} - \dfrac{1}{12} \dfrac{d}{dx} \dfrac{1}{x!} + ... \right) |_{x=0} [/math]

where the dots are higher order derivatives. For the Gamma function as x!, the derivative is the Euler–Mascheroni constant and this first order approximation misses the numerical integral by 0.00015.

>>8581207
>>
>>8581233
ad: A representation of [math] \dfrac {1} {x!} [/math] that's equivalent to that of the Gamma function but possibly more approachable is

[math] \dfrac {1} {x!} = e^{x \gamma} \prod_{n=1}^\infty \left( 1 + \dfrac {x} {n} \right) e^{-x/n} [/math]

(where [math] \gamma [/math] is again the Euler–Mascheroni constant)
>>
>>8581233
Could you explain how to apply "Ramanujan magic" to arrive at that result?
>>
>>8581136
Alright OP I suggest you start learning about measure and integration theory. It sounds like something you'd enjoy. Using measure theory and the Lebesgue integral, we can quite easily find that when using the counting measure, k = 0.
>>
>>8581189
>>8581216
>>8581233

Thank you.
Do you know of a way to get to actually solving for k, or am I stuck with approximations forever?
>>
>>8581233

I'd love it if you explained yourself further.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.