[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does the water go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1464298780195.png (108KB, 517x440px) Image search: [Google]
1464298780195.png
108KB, 517x440px
So I spill a drop of water in the table
1 hour later it is completely gone

Where did it go? I know it "evaporated" but what exactly happened? I thought water has to boil to turn into the air
>>
>>8579213
The breaking of hydrogen bonds between the water molecules on your desk have a negative heat of reaction, meaning you dont have to input any energy into the system in order to break those hydrogen bonds.
>>
>>8579213
It's humidity. It didn't truly "evaporated", however it spread so thin it lost of mass and can be carried by air.

It's the cause of mist, by the way. True vapour is invisible to the naked eye ; the smoke you see when you cook your pasta is just 100°C water coming into contact with air, cooling a bit, becoming a liquid again, but again spread so thin it can be carried by air.
>>
>>8579217
however adding heat to the system would increase the rate of hydrogen bonds breaking
>>
>Water vapor can be produced from the evaporation or boiling of liquid water or from the sublimation of ice.
You "see" something with boiling because that's not just water vapor, it's also currents of air that are differently refracting light.

Boiling is just very rapid evaporation that occurs when you're putting so much energy into the liquid that it can't be cooled by the escaping water vapor.
>>
>>8579213
As long as the surrounding air the capacity to hold moisture, water will eveporate.
Also, ice sublimates (goes straight from solid to gas) although this takes far longer. Leave ice cubes in the freezer long enough and you'll find that they actually shrink over a period of weeks.
>>
>>8579213
>all those meme answers
look up vapor pressure OP
thermodynamics is no trivial matter
>>
>>8579213
The atmosphere stole tiny parts of the droplet either by magnetism or by friction and shearing, until the thing had been all gobbled up
>>
6 different answer, all right in their own particular way
Good job /sci/
>>
>>8579252
>answers actually describing the actual physical phenomenon in a vivid way
>"meme answers"
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.