[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Careers in Logic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: godel.jpg (19KB, 340x327px) Image search: [Google]
godel.jpg
19KB, 340x327px
Hey /sci/, I have a BS in math and am currently applying to graduate schools. A few of the schools to which I'm applying have sizable faculties studying mathematical logic/set theory/model theory/etc, and if I go to one of these schools I'd like to concentrate on that.

Unfortunately, since logic is relatively niche, I'm worried that I'd have a hard time finding a job. Many universities don't have a single faculty member that specializes in logic, so post-docs would be scarce. What sort of careers in industry could I pursue? Would it help if I focus on something with applications to theoretical computer science?
>>
>>8577733

In industry? Your best bet is to tie whatever you're doing to some form of applied computer science. You'll also need to pick up some hard CS skills: you're not getting hired if you have no idea how to implement or apply what you come up with to a real-world system.
>>
>>8577741
>you're not getting hired if you have no idea how to implement or apply what you come up with to a real-world system.
This is gonna sound like I'm memeing, but, shouldn't that be someone else's job? Why would you hire a PhD in mathematics to do coding? Or are you just telling me to get a CS degree?
>>
>>8577748
>Why would you hire a PhD in mathematics to do coding?
You're right, instead they'll hire neither of you.
>>
>>8577760
>you need a PhD in mathematics and a masters in CS to get hired by anyone, neither by itself is sufficient
>>
>>8577748
>Why would you hire a PhD in mathematics to do coding?

As someone who works as a programmer... hiring someone in software who cannot/will not code at all is the most retarded shit I've ever heard. I don't blame you if you think that is how it works because you don't know the industry but holy fuck.

In here anyone who is involved in the software, even those who design it, have to program themselves. Even the people who give me orders code. They code a lot. They have to do it. It is just how this business works. Not only do they code but they are so experienced in coding that when I fuck up and need help, I ask them!

And I doubt a PhD in Mathematics can give you a position as manager, which would be the one guy in the entire office who doesn't code.
>>
>>8577794
Okay, sure, I can see what you're getting at. Coding is indeed a skill I've too long overlooked. But, and no offense dude, most of this post doesn't seem exactly relevant as the people you're describing don't really seem like mathematicians. Have you got any experience working with people who were mathematicians by training (specifically logicians)? If so, what do they do?

Oh, and I understand I'm reaching here. It may just be the case that logicians (even the ones that code) aren't very competitive in the job market.
>>
>>8577825

My area of specialization in graduate school was theoretical computer science. As an example of what I do in the intersection of logic, I recently designed and proposed a privacy-preserving way to use formal methods (specifically symbolic execution using satisfiability modulo theories) to optimize the generation of something called garbled circuits used in secure multi-party computation protocols.

In order for my work to go anywhere, I needed to implement it. In C. If I wasn't the one to implement it, I would have had to be able to give a system design to somebody responsible for the implementation. In either case, I would have had to know something about systems.
>>
>>8577825

Just for the sake of honesty: you're not going to be a pure logician. If you want any sort of fruitful career in industry, you're going to need to transition to computer science and settle with simply working on things somewhat related to your primary interests.
>>
>>8577825
>the people you're describing don't really seem like mathematicians. Have you got any experience working with people who were mathematicians by training (specifically logicians)? If so, what do they do?

I actually do. I personally am still studying for my bachelors in mathematics so I kinda count. It is pretty good. I do banking software. Mainly programs that calculate interests on their loans and manages those accounts automatically.

There is one other guy who has a bachelors in mathematics and he is a mix of a businessman and software engineer. He works on his own projects and from what I can tell out he is the one who actually goes out and makes the deals with the clients.

And if you care about people who are full full PhD mathematicians then nope. Never seen them. Not even people with a Masters. I guess they do other stuff.

>>8577845
>>8577850
not me.
>>
>>8577733

Asking carrer advice on /sci/.
That's not logical.
>>
>>8577733

a) Researcher in Logic (Faculty Thus Relevant)
b) Do data science and statistics
c) Programmer
>>
>>8577733
I'm in a computer science PhD program at a school with a strong focus in logic.

I could work with an advisor in logic (I was top of the class in one of the graduate logic classes), and complete my PhD, but honestly I don't believe there is ANY financial incentive to do so.

YMMV but I would imagine that if you focus solely on mathematical logic then you'll find yourself without any skills. This will make it so that you are only qualified to teach in academia. This is a harsh reality to face.

Good luck.
>>
>>8577733
I majored in pure math, focused in mathematical logic.

Top programs in logic include: Berkeley, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Waterloo, Chicago, Dartmouth, Michigan (one guy), CMU -- but this is off of memory.

You won't find a career in mathematical logic outside of academia and even in mathematics logic isn't well-represented in most math departments. This is the major reason I'm switching from pure math to computer science in graduate school.

For whatever reason mathematical logic is better represented in the CS department than math department, but I am mostly interested in recursion theory and noticed the CS logic side of the house tends to focus less in recursion theory.

If you want to do logic then do a PhD in Math but don't expect any jobs in industry unless you can program.

I don't care though. I still study logic rigorously, but I market myself as a "computer scientist" so I can get hired in industry after my PhD. There is nothing stopping you from doing CS and taking math logic graduate courses or doing it on your spare time.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.