[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

probabilities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: e6andf6.png (63KB, 281x144px) Image search: [Google]
e6andf6.png
63KB, 281x144px
Hey, /sci/ /v/ here my friend and I are arguing over the chances of a loot crate giving a specific skin in our game. There's a 1% drop rate for this skin in each crate. We know a third person that opened up 200 loot crates each with a 1% chance of getting this skin. He didn't get it.

Now i say there was only a statistical chance of 2 out of the 200 crates that would have contained the skin but my friend says 13%

i haven't done this kind of math since high school and can't remember how to figure any of it out

who's right?
>>
You are both fucking losers for caring about vydia.
>>
>>8573845
but who is the bigger loser for getting it wrong?
>>
what are you asking?

the probability that you will find at least one?
the probability that you will find only one?
>>
Daily reminder that loot crates in video games are loopholes in gambling laws. Do not buy them under any circumstance.
>>
File: probzerosuccess.png (22KB, 733x363px) Image search: [Google]
probzerosuccess.png
22KB, 733x363px
>>8573817
>my friend says 13%
he's right
>>
>>8573859
at least one
>>
>>8573817
The expected value of skins is 2. That is, if someone offered you 200 crates OR 2 skins and you didn't care about anything else but the skin you would be just as happy with either option.

The probably of opening *exactly* one skin is given 200*.01*.99^199 is about 27%. That is if you repeat the "opening 200 boxes" experiment millions of times you'll open 1 skin in about 27% of your trials over all. If you need to place a bet on opening exactly one skin, you'd use this number to set odds.

The probability of *at least* 1 skin is given 1-.99^200 which is just under 87%. Your friend probably half assed this calculation to get 13%. This is the number you probably care about.
>>
>>8573817
probability that a given box contains the loot: .01 = 1/100
probability that all boxes are empty: .99^200 ~ 13/100
probabilty that one box contains loot: 0.1*.99^199*200C1 ~ 27/100
probability that two boxes contain loot: ~27/100
probability that three boxes contain loot: ~18/100
and so on
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.