[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which book is more likely to get me a job /sci/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: bookz.jpg (630KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
bookz.jpg
630KB, 2048x1152px
Which book is more likely to get me a job /sci/?
>>
Neither. Those are trivial books for dummies.
>>
File: the game.png (793KB, 1280x540px) Image search: [Google]
the game.png
793KB, 1280x540px
left : +2.6% luck to get a job
right : +1.3%
both : +5.5%
>>
To the right is the bible, to the left is some book that's not the bible.
>>
>>8571447
Neither really. If you want a job, get a book on software engineering and build some actual shit. SICP is a better bet if you want some foundations in computer science that are still useful when designing software.

CLRS is pretty much useless. I read through most of it in college and worked most of the exercises. I don't think I've ever used any knowledge from it in my software career except very basic shit that you would pick up just by building software. It's pretty rare to have to implement shit like sorting, all-pairs-shortest path, max flow, or FFT, or any algorithm in real life.

The Rudin book is good if you want to learn math. It is just an introduction though. You don't really learn anything beyond basic calculus. The more advanced green Rudin book is good if you want an intro to measure theory and functional analysis.
>>
File: 9780745945927.jpg (28KB, 300x376px) Image search: [Google]
9780745945927.jpg
28KB, 300x376px
>>8571474
This is the only kind of Bible Baby Rudin is.
>>
>>8571488
I forgot to mention that CLRS is vaguely useful in job interviews if you want to be a code monkey at big firm like Google, Amazon, Facebook or Microsoft. You can just work some IOI or ACM problems though if you want to practice this shit.

Be aware that most companies in SV are moving away from the algorithms-based interview questions these days, since they started realizing being good at trick algo questions is not the same as being a good software engineer. Many companies will instead ask you to code or debug something live on site these days.
>>
>>8571447

Have you actually read both books?
Both are pretty straightforward books.
CLRS is known for its comprehensiveness and usage in elite schools like MIT.
Rudin is known for its clear no-nonsense explanations and the problems.

They are not the Bible. They will not magically makes you a programmer or mathematician. They are totally readable for the less gifted.
>>
>>8571447
Rudin builds intelligence
CLRS builds knowledge

You can quickly learn knowledge if you're intelligent. Companies know this.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.