[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the Feynman Lectures/SICP/Rudin of chemistry and biochemistry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: periodic_table.jpg (34KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
periodic_table.jpg
34KB, 600x800px
What is the Feynman Lectures/SICP/Rudin of chemistry and biochemistry?
>>
>>8569116
dafuq is sicp
>>
>>8570488
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Abelson and Sussman. They used to use it to teach 6.001 at MIT back in the day.
>>
>>8569116
Lehninger for biochem
>>
>>8570816
isnt that a highschool textbook?
>>
>>8570840
Maybe these days. They didn't use in my high school when I took AP Computer Science. But that was 20 years ago.
>>
>>8570488
https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PL8FE88AA54363BC46
>>
If you ask an organic chemist they'd probably say anything to do with Woodward. He was a very skilled chemist with a lot of appeal and personality. I still think they ride his dick too hard though.
>>
Molecular biology of the cell is THE book for undergraduate cellular/molecular biology

organic chemistry by clayden et al is the organic chemistry book.

Neither of them are a "course" like SICP is though.

They're books that basically are all you ever need to look at for 80% of your undergrad education in those disciplines
>>
>>8570932
This. Encountered both of these.
>>
>>8570932
Thanks. Any other opinions? What about for general chemistry? My problem with most intro texts I've encountered is that they entirely ignore the quantum mechanical viewpoint. How can you talk about atoms and molecules without talking about quantum mechanics?
>>
>>8571493
don't let your reach exceed your grasp, non
>>
>>8569116
Voet and Voet
>>
>>8570819
Was just gonna post this.
>>
>>8569116

Feynmann ?

Lol.

Most overrated lecture ever. Absolutely useless. 150 pages about him and his "conception of physics" before he started the class.

Absolute garbage.

Berkeley course is far better.
>>
>watch a Feyman lecture
>gives wavelengths in terms of millionth of centimeters instead of nanometers
Behead those who insult the metric system.
>>
>>8572995

Behead those who insult /sci/ !
>>
>>8570819
Lehninger is very good for metabolism, but the book I've used the most is Molecules of Life.
>>
>>8573400
Please. /sci/ is a board of peace.
>>
File: SI vs US 2.png (69KB, 720x681px) Image search: [Google]
SI vs US 2.png
69KB, 720x681px
>>8572995
>thinks the metric system requires prefixes
>>
>>8574620
underrated post
>>
>>8572839
What is motivation and context?
>>
>>8569116

For intro cell biology, Molecular Biology of the Cell.

For first-semester biochemistry, Voet & Voet.

Molecules of Life is definitely a strong textbook. I think it's great to have, though within the context of undergraduate coursework (in a molecular biology or biochemistry or chemistry major) I don't really think it "fits" any course as well as the two examples above.

Molecules of Life would supplement various segments of a biophysical chemistry or biophysics course (another text that would work well here would be Dill's Molecular Driving Forces), but really I don't think you could "build" a course around these text books as seamlessly as you could around Voet & Voet or Molecular Biology of the Cell.

I think it's different at the graduate level. I'm a huge fan of Molecular Driving Forces, and Molecules of Life.
>>
Its not general enough to be that, but I've started to read Cotton's Chemical Applications of Group Theory and I like this guy's style already. He doesn't seem to put up with bullshitting.
>>
>>8577692
For Orgo, get Clayden. There are also some other books teaching retrosynthetic analysis that are based on Clayden.
>>
>>8577425
Almost entirely useless for a physics course.
>>
>>8574643
I lausghed heartily. Thanks, Mr. Doctor Professor
>>
File: 1462042539270.jpg (730KB, 2236x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1462042539270.jpg
730KB, 2236x1600px
>>8570488
a meme book
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.