[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is engineering the most dominant field on /sci/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Engineering.jpg (300KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Engineering.jpg
300KB, 800x533px
Also, where are all the chemists and biologists?

Source: http://www.strawpoll.me/11978410/r
>>
File: furries.jpg (13KB, 304x166px) Image search: [Google]
furries.jpg
13KB, 304x166px
>>8569107
If you go look at the type of people Engineering graduates are vs the type who do chemistry or biochemistry, you'll find they're pretty different cliques. Not because of the fields changing them - it's just the type of people those subjects. Just like you get obnoxious loud people studying drama, hippies in music and self-hating people in women's studies.

That's my anecdotal evidence from my uni though. I think the chemistry/biology/etc group are more fun to hang out with but I may be biased.
>>
what do you mean "on /sci"?

in real life.
>>
>>8569107
And here I was thinking all this time that mathematicians constituted the majority of /sci/. Turns out they are just very loud and obnoxious, and a poison to any kind of intelligent discussion.
>>
>>8569107
Biochemist here. Work with a mixture of biologists and chemical engineers. The job needs all our skills.

By your powers combined.....
>>
>>8569107
>>8569166
>>8569181
>>8569183
>>8569201
Why are there no pure chemists though, what is going on?
>>
>>8569181
What are you talking about? There are more biology graduates per year than all engineering disciplines combined.
>>
>>8569317
There are more chem fags on that poll than bio, what are you on about.
>>
>>8569343
Ah, must've changed still I last looked. Still though, that disparity between biology and chemistry to the others is quite mysterious.
>>
>>8569350
Pure blooded chemist here. We are very few sadly, the toxic mathematicians hate us and they yell loudly
>>
>>8569350
My guess is most of them were driven out these past few years by field "banter" and shitposting. This is not the case nowadays probably because of recent advances, but it might be too late. There a few relevant threads here and there once in a while and they seem to get proper answers, so idk.
>>
>>8569361
Come home chemist-san, we were only joking, we don't dislike you.

>>8569372
Apparently, Stack Exchange is better?
>>
>>8569329
Indeed, but that's a good thing. We need more hot chicks at McDonald's to serve me while I work at Boston Dynamics.
>>
>>8569395
>Apparently, Stack Exchange is better?
You misspelled stock exchange; the only thing that matters.
>>
>>8569329
that's hard to believe
>>
>>8569107
>where are all the chemists and biologists?
sitting at my desk, waiting for my DNA to purify
>>
>>8569317
there are. I know people that work in chemical facilities, but they probably don't shitpost on flour chins
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72KB, 522x476px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
72KB, 522x476px
>>8569107
because its literally the most useful undergrad degree you can get.

it doesn't matter what you plan on doing as a career, whether its academia in some other field, working in industry, or working for yourself. its career insurance in case you don't actually get into that PhD program at Harvard. whether you achieve your goals or not, you can take that BS in engineering pretty much anywhere in the world and make a living.

that kind of peace of mind and versatility is worth way more than a few semesters of undergrad classes in muh pure science.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.