[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breakthrough Mirages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1480879070074s.jpg (6KB, 191x250px) Image search: [Google]
1480879070074s.jpg
6KB, 191x250px
>spend weeks developing mathematical model for the motion of a system for a paper
>Finally find one
>It fits the data perfectly to a 0.03% error
>Celebrate
>Go through the math again just to admire my work
>Find a small algebra error
>When fixed, the model is completely wrong
>Back to the drawing board

Who else knows this feel?
Luckily, I have since found 2 more models, but all with 5-10% error...
>>
>>8569074
just put the error back in

call it "dark algebra"
>>
Just do what everyone else does. Manually change the experimental data so that it fits the model.
>>
>>8569090
The error is really obvious though
I was accounting for friction and managed to fuck it up by assuming friction is proportional to the square of the velocity, since I was working on another paper at the same time which dealt with the drag equation. I did not think much of it until I noticed it a few hours ago, and here I am. Fucked
>>
>>8569091
Good idea. Not like anyone will care about the results of a first year paper
>>
>>8569092
If the data fits the "wrong" model maybe the "wrong" model is correct.
>>
>>8569111
>This model proves that the motion of a tetherball as it unwinds is given by assuming it is moving through a fluid of density 3 orders of magnitude greater than air

I'm basically assuming the motion is happening in syrup if I even suggest that my model is correct. Air resistance is otherwise negligible, and friction due to the string on the pole should be constant.

If it is not clear I am trying to calculate the velocity at any given time of a system which is essentially a ball attached to a string which is wound tightly around a pole, and then released, forming a path described by the involute of a circle and a constant rate of change of height
>>
>>8569094
You mean first year undergrad or first year grad? And an actual paper for a journal or fucking homework?
>>
>>8569090
I'm laughing
>>
>>8569121
Undergrad. It's not homework, it's basically extra credit and a bit of fun. There are no sources about the topic so I thought it would be interesting to investigate it.
>>
>>8569074

Do you know how to use MLP's?
>>
>>8569146
Yes, I love my little ponies. How can they help?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.