[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why get a degree in pure math when you get instead get an art degree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1483010810786.jpg (35KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1483010810786.jpg
35KB, 720x540px
At least with an art degree, you'll be somewhat "cultured" and be able to live life more enjoyably, as you'll be able to criticize and analyze culture properly, and put those skills to use in everyday life.

You won't ever use any of the skills from a theoretical degree in math (same thing) in real life, nor in any science, nor anything else. There comes a point where the abstractness of math feels like it was just made up to exist, by bored mathematicians — it's useless.

With a degree in theoretical mathematics you are actually less employable than an artist. An art degree isn't a tag that says I don't like interacting with people.

If you're going to get an unemployable degree, at least go for something that will make life more enjoyable/complex, like philosophy, literature, or art. Not math — it's more useless than the others at a point.

A Ph.D in Theoretical Mathematics, during the day. A Pizza delivery man at night.

~(sad)
>>
File: math.png (70KB, 859x517px) Image search: [Google]
math.png
70KB, 859x517px
What Uni these days graduates a math major without exposing that student to several courses in computer languages? None of the UCs, that's almost certain.

If you're going to be studying [diluted because it uses computers, pencils, slide rules, paper, and calculators instead of just your brain] "math", and using computers for it, why not just learn all about the science behind the automata machine, what makes it work, the theory and the math behind it?

Why not use your math for something useful? (computer science)
>>
>>8569022
>Theoretical mathematics.
Sounds like it's your fault.
>>
>>8569022
>With a degree in theoretical mathematics you are actually less employable than an artist. An art degree isn't a tag that says I don't like interacting with people.
confirmed for not having seen the massive amount of interaction with other students/professors to successfully pull off a math phd
>>
>>8569031
...with other pure math students, employers won't care
>>
>>8569040
as opposed to art students interacting with other art students?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.