[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Undergraduate Linear Algebra Textbook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

ITT We finally settle the debate. We've pretty much settled which analysis' textbooks are the best, but when it comes to Linear Algebra there's not much love for a single or a couple of texts.
State your pick and your reason.

I'll start, Linear Algebra - Hoffman and Kunze, it's a traditional approach to linear algebra which I think is preferable to for example LADR, it covers a lot of more advanced topics, rigorous and is perfectly fine as an introductory book.

You're free to also pick this and/or add more reasons.
>>
I like "A Comprehensive Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Joel Broida.
It's probably tough as a first read, but I do like the style, and it's available online.
>>
>>8567712

Linear Algebra by Shilov
Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces by Halmos
Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence
Linear Algebra by Hoffman and Kunze
Linear Algebra and Its Applications by Lax (Analysis flavor)
Advanced Linear Algebra Roman (Algebra flavor)
>>
Honestly speaking, the first few chapters of Trefethen is all you need for most students.
For mathematics student, German books like the one from Volker Mehrmann is pretty straigtforward and comprehensive. There's an english translation.
>>
File: Scan0004.jpg (59KB, 472x634px) Image search: [Google]
Scan0004.jpg
59KB, 472x634px
All this talk about Linear Algebra. When is /sci/ going to grow up and talk about Exponential Algebra?
>>
File: morph1.jpg (453KB, 1752x790px) Image search: [Google]
morph1.jpg
453KB, 1752x790px
>>8567777
The quads tell the truth. It's time to move on.
>>
Artin
Kostrikin
>>
>>8568543
Kostrikin and Manin seems good but can't find their "Introduction to Algebra" textbook. If someone knows where to download it from let me know
>>
>>8568824
christ, they're hard to find.
>>
Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang supplemented with his MIT OCW lectures
>>
if you think linear algebra is challenging enough to find an optimal book you are a brainlet
>>
Friedberg you faggots.
>>
>>8567712
According to Amazon there's a third edition of this book with over 200 more pages of content.

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Kenneth-Hoffman/dp/0131814966/

The ISBN checks out (0131814966) but I can't seem to find anything about this purported third edition. (It doesn't help that Pearson seems to be re-releasing the second edition.)
Anyone knows what's up with that?
>>
hoffman has the best cover so it is the best
>>
>>8569321
wow. Someone find this
>>
>>8569321
I looked around a bit to be sure but I doubt very much this really exists. The picture beside it (which is the only picture of a "third edition" anywhere on the internet) is of the 1961 first edition. No library in all of North America claims to have a copy. The fact that all the listings are generic and ask absurd prices for an unknown book makes me think they're probably dropshippers with automated listings and none of them actually have one either.

The biggest flag is that there's absolutely no info on this. Hoffman-Kunze is a borderline legendary textbook; if they released 200 pages of new content there would have been a fair bit of fanfare.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.