[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is univserity degree a meme, no matter what field? I feel like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1478383146844.jpg (161KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1478383146844.jpg
161KB, 800x600px
is univserity degree a meme, no matter what field?
I feel like if you're motivated enough, in our age of time, you don't need to apply to a uni and study 3 years and 1 more to become a master in a field. Nowadays you can get information so fast and efficient (books, internet), you can become a "master" in any field, within a couple of months - just without the paper with the stamp on it.
Agree/Disagree?
>>
>>8566550

I agree that you may self-teach many things. I disagree that self-taught knowledge is as valuable as degree-certified knowledge in modern society.

No matter how you talk yourself into believing that you're fine without college, the likelihood of you making the same living and career as the person who did not go to college is almost non-existent. If you want to work in a STEM field, go to college; if you just want to know about STEM topics, feel free to teach yourself.
>>
>>8566550
You can do that with math and CS, not with natural sciences. The lab component is very pronounced in proper science degrees.
>>
not quite yet. assuming you don't go to a shitty university you will benefit from

>research opportunities
>internships and university resources
>mentors
>professional and expert work environment
>expensive equipment and laboratories
>practice socializing and collaborating skills
>rigorous course load

also nobody will give you the time of day you don't have a degree (mostly)
>>
>>8566554
Why is self-taught knowledge less valuable (not in an economic aspect, just the intellect aspect) than degree-certified knowledge?
I totally agree about the job application part, but it's how our society functions because it gives employers a security and that's a good thing.
again, is there a difference in working and knowing about stem (intellectually speaking)?

>>8566555
I agree about lab (chemistry, biology etc) but mostly you don't learn much, you just learn to handle the lab (at least in bachelors years) because you're basically given a recipe book that you have to explain theoretically
You could as well make an interactive online lab, which of course would be less exciting
There's one part though: imo most discoveries are made by getting a different result than expected
>>8566557
I strongly agree on the mentors but lets say if I self teach myself, dont you think I could go to an uni and just ask some professor about my questions? (if everyone did it that wouldnt work anymore but let's just say everyone ese goes to uni and I do that, could I get as far as a student, intellectualy?)
>>
University degrees are a certification that you can sit, learn, and apply yourself within the context of a respected institution for a given period of time, difficulty, and under supervision and measurement.

You are going to be self teaching yourself 90% of the time anyway, they are just holding your hand through the process and testing your ability against your peers.

Granted, the costs have become exorbitant. But it is still totally relevant.
>>
I recommend that you try to major in a subject that you can not learn entirely at home cheaply. For instance, you could get yourself past the knowledge of most math undergrads if you spend two to three years self-studying mathematics every day. Although something similar could be said for chemistry and physics, the difference between math and those two subjects are that you can not get easily get access to lab equipment. At a university, you can get access to such expensive equipment, and if you break something, well that is what tuition is for.
>>
>>8566573
but what if I don't feel that?
What if I don't like the pressure (well nobody likes it)?
What if I like realizing my theoretic fundaments in a project from time to time because I like being a practical person?
Maybe even monetize a small project?
What can I do if I want to go that way?

I feel like quitting college, it just bores me to death even though I like the subject (chemistry).
I have so many interests, maths, physics, engineering, economics, social engineering and monetizing
is it worth the risk of trying your own thing?
worst possible outcome is you fail and work a 9-5 boring job at an office but at least you tried
anyone feeling me?

How would you advise me? did anyone do the same thing and regrets it?
>>
Can't wait to go to the clinic and perform some of that good old surgery I read about on wikihow.
>>
>I'm smurt I don't need no college
>writes at a 5th grade level
>>
File: CCzgaKNUkAEeX2Q.jpg (74KB, 1023x712px) Image search: [Google]
CCzgaKNUkAEeX2Q.jpg
74KB, 1023x712px
>>8566550
university is a hazing period before you get let into the club. theres a reason why rich kids who will never hold a real job in their lives still go to college. its supposed to signify you aren't a pleb and can conduct yourself in the professional world. its also legally required for a few of the more prestigious professions.

can you be that special snowflake? yeah, sure. but why? its literally less work to just go to college.
>>
>>8566583
Quit then, brainlet. I'm sure you'll go far
>>
>>8566583

If you think you're so exceptional go ahead, drop out, and carve out a living on your own, see what you can achieve. Some brilliant guys have succeeded this way. Many others have crashed and burned because making it big purely on your own takes more hard work than sitting in class for 4 years.
>>
>>8566585
well, obviously for some professions, where other people are at risk, you surely want a certificate as insurance
>>8566588
im tired its 5am
>>8566589
because it's seems absolutely unexciting to me, I can see my life in front of myself, everything being secure and going as planned
>>8566590
I'll see, doing a small project now and will try to monetize it, if I succeed I might do the step
>>8566592
that sounds like a challenge, I love challenges
University isnt a real challenge, you just need to be a good boy
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.