[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4-(dimethylamine)butanal synthesis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: rxsang.png (8KB, 601x254px) Image search: [Google]
rxsang.png
8KB, 601x254px
I was wondering if it's possible to synthesize 4-(dimethylamine)butanal from 4-iodinebutanal and dimethyloamine I am also interested in butanal halogenation; is that even possible? if the reactions are uncorrect I expect someone to propose a correct one
pic rel: reactions designed by me
>>
>>8564159
Dunno m8, but Dimethyloamine would be pretty weak nucleophile and so strong electrophile would be needed. Sadly for you 4-Iodinebutanal is also pretty weak electrophile, its transition state would be horribly unstable. So from looking at it, SN2 is not likely since your nucleophile is weak and SN1 is unlikely since 4-Iodinebutanal is primary and so cannot form stable cation. Try reading something about SN1/2 reactions on this website: http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2012/08/08/comparing-the-sn1-and-sn2-reactions/
>>
I don't think that elemental iodine would halogenate an aldehyde. Especially at the 4 position in butanal.
>>
>>8564167
>>8564169
well I used iodine just because it has a solid form I forgot to include that for me it doesn't have to be iodine it could be any other halogen
>>
>>8564177
Iodine is not the problem here, it actually is excelent leaving group due to its high polarizability. Your problem stems from the fact you want to use Dimethyloamine on primary substituted alkyl halide. i would suggest using some activated form of dimethyloamine, or increasing substitution of your alkyl halide.
>>
>>8564177
Also just realized, your nucleophile is quite bulky, and as such would more likely cause E2.
>>
>>8564183
I'm confused on how you would even go about halogenating butanal? What way would there be to go about this? Even with radicals wouldn't the 3 poosition be preferred because of stability?
>>
>>8564183
could you think of any other way of synthesizeing 4-(dimethylamine)butanal?
>>
>>8564203
Agreed, this whole reaction is pretty wierd.
>>
>>8564206
I myself am only a begginer in chemistry. I havent even finished highschool yet, and so my knowledge isnt that broad to really help you with that. Try doing some research on net, and you may find something.
>>
>>8564222
>begginer (sic)
>telling people what to do
don't do this anymore please
>>
enjoy your side products
>>
File: 134655233617306.jpg (39KB, 637x632px) Image search: [Google]
134655233617306.jpg
39KB, 637x632px
>>8564159
>butt anal
>>
>>8564228
I know enough to tell you that this reaction is utter shit.
>>
>>8564228
Not that anon but please wait I can try to make some half-assed outline for you that doesn't involve the weirdest choice of reagents in history.
>>
File: worst_synthesis.png (26KB, 940x556px) Image search: [Google]
worst_synthesis.png
26KB, 940x556px
I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but here is some shitty and rough outline of how you can probably go about doing things. I'll leave the protecting group steps as exercises c;
>>
Wat?
>>
>>8564240
someone had to make that joke
>>
File: 1480476153678.png (92KB, 273x188px) Image search: [Google]
1480476153678.png
92KB, 273x188px
Well what are you starting with? You could use succinaldehyde and and try and form an imine using your dimethylamine. You'd have to play with concentrations and reaction conditions to maximise the formation of the mono-imine. You could probably then selectively reduce the imine into an amine if you used a mild enough reducing agent (and probably acidic conditions - maybe even select a solvent that can form an acetal or hemiacetal with the aldehyde). This route would take some tinkering but it would be only two steps and also wouldn't require any expensive reagents.
>>
MOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!! JONNY'S TRYING TO MAKE DRUGS AGAINNN
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.