[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Projects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Is it possible to do a research project on the side?

I have a regular full time job but I recently had a really good idea for a research project (won't share the details here). I wouldn't need any funding or shit like that, but I realized it takes a lot more time than I thought.

I already researched and found a ton of literature I have to read + all the stuff I still have to learn to be able to do it.. is it even worth it? Or better is it possible at all?
>>
>>8562399
What do you have to lose by trying? It sounds like you know better than anyone else here whether its feasible.
>>
>>8562404
Time is the problem.

By the time I am finished, someone else migth have done it already you know? Would be pretty fucking devastating to waste a ton of free time on something without getting anything out of it.
>>
>>8562409
You shouldn't bother then

Not because you can't, not because of any actual reason, but because you're here on 4chan trying to get people to tell you its okay to give up.

So clearly you don't want it and have already decided not to do it, you're just looking for validation for your choices.

So here you go anon, I'll give you what you want - give up and don't bother, don't try. Let your fear of failure or of getting scooped or whatever else it is hold you back. Someone else may very well beat you to it, or you might fail, or you might be wrong. So why bother? You're probably not good enough anyway.
>>
>>8562418
That's actually pretty motivating
>>
>>8562422
I'm glad it is, and I hope one day I can read about the results of what you're doing. I'll be waiting until that day
>>
>>8562399
It is probably not possible if you've never done real research before. Everybody stumbles through their first project, even with good guidance, because you're still learning. If you've done a fair amount of research before (ie were reasonably productive in grad school) then it certainly is possible. If one has a clear concept and doesn't need to learn any new skills, a mediocre paper in my field (theoretical particle theory) could be done in a few months if someone spent a couple hours on it every day.
>>
>>8562399
I'm doing a research project from home that involves antibiotics. Like you, I was afraid of not having a good amount of time to dedicate to it (I'm a full time student with a lab research internship) but I found the time. You have to think of it as a hobby instead of a second job or something. Every night after you're done fulfilling all of your responsibilities for the day, just work on your project instead of watching TV or browsing 4chan. Sure, it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
>>
>>8562431
Apart from my masters thesis I haven't really done anything like this before. I am out of university but I could probably still ask my old prof for help if necessary. What are the main problems? Something you could have easily avoided?

>>8562436
That does sound logical. Thanks for the input.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.