[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On a violin, cello etc, during normal play (drawing the bowhair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

On a violin, cello etc, during normal play (drawing the bowhair across the string perpendicular to it to cause a standing wave), there are two normal states for the bow-in-motion to be in: a downbow, where the hand manipulating the bow moves apart from the string, and an upbow, where said hand moves toward it. Changing between these two states serves to punctuate separate sustained pitches.

So when practicing a scale, the default method is to switch between these two states for every step of the scale.

Practicing my scales I, uh, 'discovered' some things about them. I say discovered, but they're blatantly obvious and any string player already knows them intuitively (and hell, any layman does too).

As long as you move in stepwise motion (from C to D, D to E, etc. as opposed to moving from C directly to G or playing C and then C again), every note has one of these two states associated with it. This association doesn't apply between octaves, of course (C2 down, D2 up, E2 down, F2 up, G2 down, A2 up, B2 down, C3 up. C2 is down while C3 is up. The number denoting the octave changes at C because music theorists can't into sensible notation).

No matter how you move on the scale, straight to the other extreme as is taught or in weird stepwise zigzags like I do, each pitch is played with one of these two states, down or up, and will never be played with the other, so long as you follow the rules outlined above. This applies to any predictable pattern of notes that doesn't change depending on direction. Any scale, any arpeggio, etc.

Anyways, I assume this is something really basic and entry-level, but why is this? I'm assuming it has to do with there being two states. If there were three, it wouldn't work at all. And if there were four, it wouldn't quite work but it'd still work on some level - every other note must be one of two states, and the notes in between must be one of the other two states. So I'm guessing this has to do with the concept of evenness.
>>
I like the genuine inquiry into the math behind a simple, non-mathematical task.

Bump
>>
> music theorists can't into sensible notation
That's why if you want to analyze something mathematically, you need a mathematical notation.

Suppose you have a
> predictable pattern of notes that doesn't change depending on direction. Any scale, any arpeggio, etc.
Arrange all the notes in order from lowest to highest pitch.
Label the starting note 0, the note with the next pitch up as 1, then 2, 3, ... etc.
Likewise, label the note with the next lowest pitch compared to the starting note as -1, then -2, -3, ... etc.

(Jargon alert: what I am doing is constructing a homomorphism from your pattern of notes to the set of integers.)

Then if you start on a downbow at 0 and begin playing, alternating between downbows and upbows, the downbows will occur on the even numbers and the upbows on odd numbers.

If you have four different states and cycle through them regularly, they'll occur on the numbers (read: notes) that are multiples of 4, 1 greater than a multiple of 4, 2 greater than a multiple of 4, and 3 greater than a multiple of 4 respectively. The cycling through bow states corresponds naturally (the technical term is "isomorphism") to cycling through remainders of numbers when divided by 4.
>>
>>8559917
Oh, yeah, that sounds exactly right. So it takes two steps after the initial downbow at 0 to get to a downbow again, and the position of that next downbow is -2, 0 or 2.

Homomorphism and isomorphism are two words I have sorely needed throughout my life.
>>
>>8560959
ur mom is a homomorphism
>>
TL;DR

Im sorry OP. Even though im a musician i had no patience to read your unnecessarily long post. You should practice your writing skills before posting.
>>
It's because you have two "states" and two directions in which you can take the scale (up or down). Say you have a linearly-ordered, finite set of squares (like a file on a chess board), and you label these squares according to the ordered set of notes you are playing (a scale, arpeggio, et cetera). Then any way you play that doesn't skip notes, as you mentioned, corresponds to what mathematicians call a walk through the line of squares, moving one square to the left or right at each unit of time. Imagine colouring the squares assigned to upbow notes white, and downbow notes black. Then, the colour of this walk along the squares will alternate at each step, since you cannot stay still and each of a squares neighbors have a different colour than it.
>>
File: Chessboard_2.jpg (3MB, 3704x2864px) Image search: [Google]
Chessboard_2.jpg
3MB, 3704x2864px
>>8561047
It's probably you being a musician that caused you to have no patience to read it, since I tried to write this for the hypothetical mathematician who has never encountered the cello in their life. I do agree my writing is shit though

>>8561152
Yeah, that makes sense.

Hm, and if you had the entire chessboard and moved like a king piece on it (stepwise), it would still be upbows assigned to one color and downbows assigned to the other. And it would do so for any set of notes you assign it.

This sounds like shitty graphic score music in the making. [spoiler]I kind of want to write it now.[/spoiler]
>>
>>8561522
Yes, it works in all dimensions. That's both cool and possibly useful!
>>
>>8559855
It's because there are 8 notes in a scale and 2 | 8. Literally that simple.
>>
>>8561645
But there are 15 notes in a two-octave scale and 29 notes in a four-octave scale.
>>
>>8561526
It also works for three. Does it work no matter how many dimensions?
>>
>>8562209
Yes, this can be shown a number of ways, but the simplest is by induction over "shells" about a starting square. The relevance of this is that you can label your various axes with different note sets, and then any path through this space will correspond precisely to a sequence of chords, or something more general.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.