[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the scientific method is just one epistemic method out of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1468029696649.png (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468029696649.png
8KB, 420x420px
If the scientific method is just one epistemic method out of infinitely many, and science is merely a subset of philosophy, then why do non-scientist philosophers completely evacuate any field that scientists are directly involved with? Surely they have a lot to contribute? Philosophy is more than just science.

So for example, philosophers love talking about the brain and consciousness but they are suspiciously quiet about how cars work. Why is this? Why isn't the Harvard faculty trying to work it out, when cars are such an important part of our society? The engineering / scientific school has merely done it through the scientific method yet there are still so many more methods to be used!

It seems the main function of philosophers is to spin ever more elaborate and unfalsifiable chains of reasoning about subject areas that haven't yet been colonised by scientists or mathematicians and desecrated with maths at a higher than secondary school level. But that's just my ignorant cynicism, no doubt.
>>
Fun fact: The islamic golden age was only possible due to Al-Ghazali caused the banning of philosophy from the caliphate with his book "The Incoherence of the Philosophers".
>>
>>8557380
> Why isn't the Harvard faculty trying to work it out, when cars are such an important part of our society?

Ikr? Like, why aren't literature departments working on P=NP when it's such an important area?
>>
>>8558840
Because poetry about math would only appeal to autistic fedorafags and therefore be xkcd tier.
>>
>>8557380
Totally right, dude! A shitposting faggot who posts frogs is such a fucking genius! How did you even come up with this? It's amazing. Philosophy: Btfo.
>>
>>8558840

because literature departments never do shit period
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.