[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

According to quantum mechanics, atoms can just pop in and out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

According to quantum mechanics, atoms can just pop in and out of existence randomly for a few seconds.

What keeps me up at night is wondering if all the atoms of the Sun suddenly quantumly vanished for a few seconds and the earth has no sun for a few seconds.

We the earth and live on earth survive if the sun just disappeared for 3 seconds. What would happen?
>>
>atoms
>a few seconds

holy kek
>>
>>8553707
You would be more likely to have very single person on the planet bow down before you, every girl bend over and wiling offer you their bodies, desperately craving to fulfill your every and dirtiest sexual fantasies. The man work tirelessly to erect a statue in your honor on every planet/moon in our solar system, an alien race coming to meet you and declaring you their new ruler because you are so cool. You going on to become elected master of the universe, always winning every slot machine you played, successfully jogging down a busy highway for miles without any accidents occuring, being struck by lightning 10 million times in a row without dying, finding atlantis, receiving 30,000 Nobel prizes, earning the love of your father, leaving 4chan and becoming actually successful with your life, and having your sick magically lengthen 3 inches overnight, than the sun ever blinking out like that.

That being said if it did you would never notice because we are talking unimaginably tiny fractions of a second. Not seconds. I don't even know if our most sensitive sensors could detect a blip that tiny.

That being said again, if it were for say, 3 seconds, it would just be like nightime. Not even the moon would dissappear as while it only reflects the sun's light, it would still have a slight delay in that reflection that it would disaper when the sun reeapeared.
>>
>>8553720
what?
>>
>>8553707
You don't really notice it happens because the light "mixes" again on its way to earth. Imagine a traffic light with a lots of cars waiting. If you're right at the traffic light, you see a stream of cars, then nothing while the light is on red, then a stream of cars again, etc. However if you're waiting 2 miles away from the traffic light, it becomes one homogenous stream of cars again.
>>
>>8553727
>different components of the light move at different speeds through the approximate vacuum of space
No. There is some matter in space, but the total effect of its diffraction is negligible.
>>
>>8553707
>According to quantum mechanics, atoms can just pop in and out of existence randomly for a few seconds.

1. Not atoms. Virtual particles. These are pairs of particle and antiparticle which are part of the background field that exists everywhere. They do not need to obey typical mass-energy relationships (simplified to E =/= mc^2, refered to as "off-shell") and their effect on matter is localized and minute. Hence they are not directly measurable, and only indirectly measured through their minute effect on real "on-shell" matter.

2. Not a few seconds. You're more than a few orders of magnitude off.

>if all the atoms of the Sun suddenly quantumly vanished

3. When virtual particles are created, they preserve all the important values associated with their field: charge, angular momentum, lepton number, etc. and so what you are proposing is outlawed by the theory which predicts virtual particles.

>We the earth and live on earth survive if the sun just disappeared for 3 seconds. What would happen?

4. We're still /sci/ and this question still has an answer. Three seconds is nothing compared to the time it takes the Earth to orbit once around the Sun. Hence for three seconds it would move outward in a straight line and then once again fall back into a new orbit. This new orbit would be essentially the same as the old one, but with the addition of a slow oscillation around the stable radius. Eventually because of damping this would go away (though don't ask me what timescale) and nothing would have changed.

There might also be some geomagnetic changes because of a large change in the plasma flux that passes through Earth's magnetic field. I'm no plasma physicist though.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.