[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uplift

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

Is it possible to increase the intelligence of more intelligent animals like Dolphins or Chimps to the point that they can get near to human levels?
Say with artificial selection or Genetic engineering.
>>
>>8553114
Somehow they managed to teach you how to read and write so I would be optimistic
>>
>>8553645
brainlet allert
>>
>>8553114
Literally yes. Issue is it would take tens, hundreds of thousands of years. Maybe millions. It would statistically be more feasible to simply find another already intelligent life form or to create AI.
>>
>>8553669
>statistically more feasible to simply...
[citation needed]

>it would take tens of hundreds of thousands of years
[citation needed]
>>
>>8553703
Don't need any citation for the evolution part friend. It took the human race that long, and we had a significant head start to begin with.

And the statistics are easy. The likelihood that we will not create some form of AI in the next 10,000 years, and the likelihood that we will not meet another form of intelligent life amongst all the other stars we see, are so slim they are almost negligible.

But the you are the type of person that would have said never would we ever go to space. Never would a computer beat a human at chess. And so on.
>>
>>8553114
I'd think elephants are closer to sentience than chimps. With their skeleton-contemplation, they may be only a few thousand years from creating religion. Remember Spore?
>>
>>8553718
I was almost very interested but then you mentioned Spore so now I can't tell if you are serious or not.
>>
>>8553114
Probably. I always found it odd that pop culture always assumed the first being of artifical intelligence would be born of silicone and not flesh. It seems a little audacious to think we would just skip recreating a biological model of conciousness in vivo and just go straight to machine.
>>
>>8553714
>evolution part
OP didn't say anything about evolution. In fact, lets see.. he said artificial selection or genetic engineering

>The likelihood that we will not create some form of AI in the next 10,000 years, and the likelihood that we will not meet another form of intelligent life amongst all the other stars we see, are so slim they are almost negligible.
Again, citation needed
>>
http://phys.org/news/2016-12-monkeys-vocal-anatomy-problem.html

Monkeys can already speak, they simply lack some key genes. It would be a piece of cake to uplift them with some gene editing.
>>
Yeah if you want to create an ethical and moral disaster sure go right ahead.
>>
>>8554041
Fuck off nigger sperg.
OP clearly asked if it was possible, not if it was moral nor ethical.
>>
>>8554044
Have you ever seen Jurassic park? Malcolm had the best answer that I've heard regarding lunatic propositions like this where he says "whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should". There should absolutely be no conversation over something like this until you can truly come to terms and make a consensus on how morally devoid and wrong something as crazy as this is. It would be an ethical disaster in my eyes to bring animals up with that kind of intelligence and it shouldn't even be considered.
>>
>>8554063
Right. Then go and open up a thread of your own regarding the morality of things, preferably in another board.
>>/lgbt/
>>
>>8554063
Nobody is that naive except for the general public. The fact that you think people are says more about you than it does about us
Fuck off you intellectual midget
>>
>>8553714
>The likelihood that we will not create some form of AI in the next 10,000 years, and the likelihood that we will not meet another form of intelligent life amongst all the other stars we see, are so slim they are almost negligible.

What is the fermi paradox for 500 pls
>>
>>8555078
>What is the fermi paradox for 500 pls

Something too complex for you humans to understand, apparently.
>>
>>8553669
Considering how fast targeted, scientific domestication happens in animals, I'd believe that uplift to sentience should only take about 200 years at absolute max. That is only using normal selective breeding. With the latest genetic science I can't even guess how long it'd take.

You can bet that it won't be happening due to ethics conflicts. However, it should never happen not because of ethics towards the animals, but because we should never start making something that may one day be our competition.
>>
Try it with mice. They breed quickly enough and don't take a lot of resources to maintain.
>>
>>8553114
>>8553718
dolphins and elephants are probably the best candidates - both have complex social groups, are fairly long lived, and seem to have a rudimentary language of some kind.
>>
>>8553646
Alert*
>>
>>8556052
Dolphins are most likely already fully sentient, more so than any other non-human species. They just literally don't give a shit for the most part about humans and the social barrier between the two species is quite great.
>>
>>8554063
What about trannys?
Ethical disaster or acceptable progression?
Homosexuality? Ethical disaster or acceptable progression?
Race mixing?
>>
>>8553114
>like Dolphins

Intelligence without arms is meaningless.
>>
>>8556047
literal brainlets
>>
Dolphins are literally sentient.
>>
http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/brin20140925
the writer of the uplift novels said a few things on
>>
>>8554063
>it's wrong
Why? Why would it be wrong to give other animals the gift of intelligence>
>>
>Humans search the cosmos and see no intelligent life
>it is our duty to spread life around the cosmos and make intelligent life
>>
>>8558019
>>8557669
This pisses me off. Dolphins are almost as smart as a person (about as smart as a 5 to 8 year old) but because they can't use tools there is no way of them getting onto our level.
I don't care what christfags and hippy shits say. We need to modify them. Give those shits arms and let them rule the oceans.
>>
I've always thought perhaps giving birds like crows more human level intelligence. Or parrots. Crows are at least as smart as monkeys.
>>
File: 1359956187280.gif (308KB, 240x211px) Image search: [Google]
1359956187280.gif
308KB, 240x211px
>Film has been revealed of amazing games between bottlenose dolphins and humpback whales off Hawaii. The dolphins swim onto the nose of the whales, which then raise themselves out of the water to a great height, so that the dolphins slide down their heads with a great splash. As the game is repeated over and again, it seems clear that both individuals are enjoying it.
> Many of them enjoy a game of catch, perhaps with a fish or even a turtle, throwing the animal back and forth to each other with no intention of eating it. Then there are activities that remind us of our games of tag. One dolphin will nudge another a few times to indicate its willingness for a game, then high speed pursuit will take place through the sea, as they take turns chasing each other.

>TFW not born a dolphin
>>
besides chimps, elephants are big candidates because with thousands of years of artificial selection not only we could make them more intelligent but also we could make them more dexterous with their trunk, allowing them to use tools.
>>
>>8553114
With artificial election your talking evolutionary time periods, with Genetic engineering you talking not so distant future.
>>
File: chimp-cooking.jpg (76KB, 487x292px) Image search: [Google]
chimp-cooking.jpg
76KB, 487x292px
>>8558312
You would just frustrate the petty creature because it would never be able to manipulate things with the precision of the hand and arm. Plus, elephants are lame and overrated. It would be much more sensible to engineer a more intelligent and docile chimp with speech capabilities, but not so intelligent as to seriously compete with human. That way we could enslave and control the chimps, because they would be too retarded to organize and mount a successful rebellion. They could do things like cooking, cleaning and yard work.
>>
>>8554063
There's nothing immoral about creating an intelligent lifeform similar to humans, stop your preaching like your from /his/. This is /sci/ for fucks sake. As long as the creature is designed in such a way as to be unwaveringly obedient there is no more to worry about than if you were to have a child and it would be far less of a responsibility than a child because the creature would be entirely under your control, similar to a computer.
>>
>>8558325
Don't forget coding. They could do that too.
>>
Dolphins are very intelligent but they simply lack any way of passing down knowledge to subsequent generations.
>>
>>8558340
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVBuM3FBjiA

Dolphins often travel in rape gangs to harass other dolphins male or female. Not gonna lie, I often get off to the idea of being cornered by bipedal dolphins in an ally way like a poor little human boy.
>>
>>8558325
Except machines are already doing that.
It would make sense to uplift animals to be on the same level as humans but make sure it's an animal that would love us.
Have dolphins do under water work for us.
>>
>>8553114
Yes.

See the Russian fox domestication process.

However this will be seen as "inhumane" by many people and "horrible" by others. Maybe a better way would be direct genetic mutation via gene editing, but that involves tons more research than the natural method.
>>
>>8558340
No you're stupid. Dolphins families already pass down teaching from one generation to next, not even that. They pass down knowledge from pod to pod if certain conditions are met.

These are already documented knowledge.
>>
>>8558340
Actually it's well documented that dolphins can teach each other and have their own culture.
>>
>>8556052
>dolphins
>rudimentary language
dolphin language > human language
you know they speak in 3-dimensions right? one of the benefits of having sonar technology.
>>
>>8553114
Dolphins already have human level intelligence, we just cant see it clearly because they literally cant build shit.
>>
>>8558312
Elephants most likely have human level intelligence, but due to their quadruped physiology they are unable to construct things at all.
>>
Dolphins are probably smarter than humans because there is no intelligence filter in the ocean, the cetaceans just had their brains go on overdrive in the evolution game, where as we humans were feral savages until the ice age created the intelligence filter, the ceteceans and mastodons were civilized.
>>
>>8558628
> 3d language
Whoah dude.
>>
>>8558712
look into john c lilly-- dude was a pimp
>>
>>8553114
Doubt it.
In 500 million years the intelligence of creatures remained rather stagnant.
Human beings are an anomaly of the system.

They try to reckon that you can produce greater intelligence through human beings because that's what caused human beings elevated level of intelligence.
However, mating two (relatively) brilliant animals produces a brilliant offspring, not a super smart offspring.

What is occuring in selective breeding is the work of DNA recombination, but what occured in humans is radical mutation of regulatory genes.
>>
>>8559036
>They try to reckon that you can produce greater intelligence through human beings because that's what caused human beings elevated level of intelligence.

Meant to say, they try to say that you can produce greater intellgience through selective breeding because that's what caused the elevation in human intellect, but that is an assumption.
>>
After we increase the intelligence of these animals, I would help facilitate them in their war of liberation from human oppression and then become their trusted adviser.
>>
>>8559068
but they are intelligent...
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.