[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you self-teach?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: mime.jpg (7KB, 235x222px) Image search: [Google]
mime.jpg
7KB, 235x222px
I want to study Mathematics and Biology at home (among other subjects), but I don't know how to learn by myself. You see, my mother is a musician and my father a writer, so they both pulled me out of school in 4th grade and enlisted me in a Literature and Humanities school (yes, those exist). So, I don't know anything about Mathematics beyond the extremely basic shit such as multiplication and division, and nothing at all about Biology, Physics, Chemistry and so on. Being an ungrateful cunt of a son, I resented their decision of depriving me of my right to choose my own future and now, with a useless English major at hand, I want to go back and learn everything that every other person in the world had the chance to learn. Thing is, I can't go to college again since obviously I wouldn't understand anything they teach; most of the stuff online is either extremely basic or extremely advanced, the middle stuff isn't there; and going to school with a bunch of kids is just degrading when you yourself could be a teacher if you wanted to.

So, again, my question is, how do you learn on your own?
Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
Have you checked the Sticky?

It gives books of all levels that advance upwards.

https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/

http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_material

http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Obtaining_textbooks
>>
>>8552538
Get a book. Turn off computer, open book. EZPZ
>>
>>8552538
I would seriously recommend just dedicating a week to go through the arithmetic through pre-algebra topics on khan academy and see where you're lacking

Or do the "world of math" mission which starts at retarded level and quickly moves up, then just use the videos and practice exercises to brush up on stuff that you're a little lost on. It's a really efficient way to rapidly get through what you already know (easy stuff), find the stuff that confuses you (the middle stuff you want to know), and bypass the hard stuff until later.

Also, in conjunction with that, Everyday Math Demystified and Algebra Know-it-all by Stan Gibilisco (which you can probably find for free online somewhere) are both great self-teaching references for people who are motivated but math-illiterate. They contain a huge swath of information that is extremely useful to know which is taught rapidly and explained well.
>>
For sciences, honestly, you're probably OK to start with general survey courses (general biology, general chemistry, general mechanics for non-physicists). You'll want to go through high school algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before you try college calculus.
>>
>>8552538
For Arithmetic

>just dedicating a week to go through the arithmetic through pre-algebra topics on khan academy

For Algebra

Elements of Algebra by Euler, translated by Hecht (best book ever written at this level)
>Supplements
Functions and Graphs by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Shnol
The Method of Coordinates by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Kirillov
Algebra by Gelfand and Shen

For Geometry

Eh, you can skip it. Most geometry problems are solved with the methods in algebra, trig, and calc.
Kiselev's Geometry: Book I. Planimetry & Book II. Stereometry

For Precalculus

Precalculus with Unit Circle Trigonometry by Cohen
Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell: Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry by Simmons
Basic Mathematics by Lang
>Supplements
Trigonometry by Gelfand and Saul
Introduction to the Analysis of the Infinite by Euler, translated and annotated by Ian Bruce [http://www.17centurymaths.com/contents/introductiontoanalysisvol1.htm]
>>
File: Required Reading - easy mode.png (3MB, 1360x2765px) Image search: [Google]
Required Reading - easy mode.png
3MB, 1360x2765px
>>8552538
>>
>>8552944
Read Campbell, University Physics (once you learn calculus), and Chemistry: the central science. You don't need all of that other stuff. For Precalculus (algebra II, trig), that book in the chart is fine, but I personally prefer Sheldon Axler's Precalculus. If you're learning math from scratch, just watch the basic Khan Academy math videos, work your way up to algebra 1 and geometry. You can also just get the books recommended by the wiki.

Get all of your books for free from libgen.io/gen.lib.rus.ec/bookzz.org, read them using Foxit PDF reader, install f.lux. And remember to do end of chapter exercises.

If you want to learn how to learn, read "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley.
>>
>>8552944
ok, this has been a lingering question. Why is the fucking bible always included in these lists? has nothing to do with the other books. literally nothing.
>>
>>8552944
What's wrong with Carroll and Ostlie? We're using it for our Astrophysics course in 2nd year
>>
>>8552538

I personally think that the Feynman Technique is the perfect way of self-learning. It works wonders for me.
>>
>>8553759
Who said their was anything wrong with it? It's just easy (compared to other astro books)
>>
>>8553808
Can you give me an example of how you use it? It seems simple and all but I can't wrap my mind around using it to learn something like chemistry for example. Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough
>>
>>8553755
It's a meme you dip.

Though reading the bible is a good idea if you want to get into literature, doesn't matter if you'ren't a Christfag
>>
>>8553755

Probably a meme, but if you want to hear why the bible is important aside from faith value, its a book that largely brought writing and literacy to the nations of the world as it got translated to their languages. That, and a lot of literary and media works have numerous references to the bible or have biblical plots, so its a good thing to read even if you're not a religious person, clarifies a lot of things.
>>
>>8552538
>So they can't afford to send you to community college
>And you can't get a job.
>>
File: alien.gif (231KB, 499x427px) Image search: [Google]
alien.gif
231KB, 499x427px
>>8552538
Literally go do Khan Academy (Google it). This will give educate you to the level of someone who is about to enter college. They even have SAT training videos if you want to do that as well. Beyond that level, you should look at the curricula of she top universities and read the syllabus of courses you're interested in, but don't forget to do the intro courses and basic university math courses (look at the curriculum of a field of study to see what math freshman get and learn that). MOOCs can also really help you.
>>
>>8552907
>Algebra by Gelfand and Shen
I really like this book. If I ever have children I would like them to read it when they learn algebra.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.