[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Acidity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: metal gear acid.jpg (39KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear acid.jpg
39KB, 500x283px
So help me out here /sci/
Acids are molecules who are able to give off an H+ ion, but what makes such a molecule a strong acid?
Hydrochloric acid just gives off one H+ ion, but is one of the strogest acids there is.
Citronic acid gives off 3 H+ ions, but is a rather weak acid.

In theory one mole of hydrochloric acid dissolved in a litre of water should create a weaker acid than citronic acid right?

So why isn't that the case?
>>
"Weak" and "strong" describe only the rate at which an acid releases it's proton. If there is any non-negligible equilibrium where the acid is protonated then it's a weak acid.

Specifically, for the reaction
HA <-> H+ + A-
If the pKa value, where Ka=[H+][A-]/[HA] and pKa=-log10 (Ka), is less than -1.74, the acid is strong. The dissociation reaction is so heavily favored that no backward reaction can accumulate HA molecules.
>>
You need to clarify what you mean by "strong" and "weak". These terms do not necessarily refer to how good an acid is at dissolving things. Rather, they refer to how easily the molecules give up their H+ ions.
>>
>>8551905
That makes sense, thanks
>>
Now, let's talk about colloquial meanings of the words "weak" and "strong". Since those are terms of art for chemistry, let's speak more generally, and say "highly corrosive" and "poorly corrosive".

Your intuition is more correct here. The ability of an acid to corrode something will depend on its concentration (if you want it done in any reasonable amount of time) and the specific chemistry of the acid and the substrate.

So yes, you can make a solution of hydrochloric acid you could wash your hands with and be fine, and you could make a vat of highly concentrated weak acid that would rip your tissue apart like wrapping paper on a child's birthday.
>>
>>8551892
No. A strong acid is an acid that completely dissolves into its constituent ions.
>>
Need some help from fellow chemfags. I worked with Boric acid in a molar mass identification experiment and I'm trying to find its activity coefficient through the vant Hoff factor, but I need the n parameter of Boric acid and I can't figure it out. My experimental i parameter came out as ~2.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.