[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone explain this to me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: e.png (28KB, 874x542px) Image search: [Google]
e.png
28KB, 874x542px
Someone explain this to me.
>>
thats just how exponential functions work famalam, e shows up everywhere
>>
>>8551198
nice non-explanation
>>
>>8551176
take the log base x of both sides, then apply the change of base formula to rewrite your equation in terms of natural logarithms and see what you get.
>>
>>8551176
I wish I could find an equation to that weird curve there but unfortunately I can't.

Anyways, there is a simple explanation.

Instead of working with two functions lets deal with constants. Set x=2 and get
2^y = y^2

There is the trivial solution y=2 but notice that y=4 also works. Do the same analysis now with e.

e^x = x^e

The only solution there is x=e so there is no magical second solution which, if you notice, is what defines that second curve.
>>
>>8551255
>The only solution there is x=e so there is no magical second solution
But whyyyyyy
>>
>>8551255
>I wish I could find an equation to that weird curve there but unfortunately I can't.

Do you mean Lambert function?
>>
>>8551255
But why isn't there. It's been proven that (2,4) and (4,2) are the only whole number solutions if x != y. But why is it that every single positive number has two other positive numbers that when raised to eachother's power will equal the first number. Why is e the exception?
>>
>>8551176
x^y = y^x is the same as e ^ y ln(x) = e ^ x ln(y)
>>
>>8551176
There are 2 functions on the left and they are represented on a graph on the right. Need it simpler? It's an image.
>>
I think it's because

y^x = x^y; y = e

ln[e^x = x^e]

x = ln(x^e)

if x = e

e = ln(e^e)

e = e
>>
>>8551261
Because the function fundamentally denotes a rate of change for the system.

When you multiply 2 by itself, it grows by a factor of 2. Do that 4 times, you get 16. Do the opposite for 4; it grows by a factor of 4 with each new iteration, except that you only get to the 2nd power before reaching 16.

The Euler constant e is the one number whose rate of change as it grows is the same as the number itself. That's its defining qualitative characteristic.
>>
>>8551176
You'll notice that the intersection is also at x=e. The basic reason why is because the slope of e^x at any x value is always e^x which is a unique quality. You can figure it out from there.
>>
>>8551838
wow that's nuts
>>
>>8552328
have you not taken calculus 1?

if not, do it :^)
>>
>>8551176
>e^e=e^e
Wow no way.
What exactly do you need explained?
>>
>>8551255
(x^y-y^x)/(x-y)=0
>>
Another cool thing is that the maximum of the function x^(1/x) is when x is at e
>>
>>8552328
https://youtu.be/AuA2EAgAegE?t=7m10s
>>
>>8551176
You're question is sort of vague, but I've been having some fun with this, so I'll give it a go.
I assume you're looking for (x,y) solutions to the equation y^x = x^y, and are curious as to why there are two solutions for a given x (or y) unless x (or y) is e, and that you're also curious as to how this e arises.

We have
x^y = y^x
y/x = ln(y)/ln(x)
Some of the solutions are obvious - namely, when y = x. Indeed, in your graph, we see that line drawn. So let's consider when y/x != 1; let's also impose that y and x are both strictly positive.
Then y/x = C > 0, and we obtain the equations
y/x = C
ln(y)/ln(x) = log_x(y) =C
or, with some manipulation,
y = Cx
y = x^C
Plugging in, we have
x^C = Cx
x^(C-1) = C
x = C^(1/(C-1))
We consider when C != 1; indeed, we've already considered when C = 1.
All of our remaining solutions are of the form
(C^(1/(C-1)), C^(C/(C-1))).
How neat! It is when C approaches 1 that our pair approaches (e,e); can you show why?

I still can't figure out what the other red line is though, even though I've just found all of the points on it. I think it can be nicely modeled as x^f(x) for some function f(x) where f(2) = 2, f(e) = 1, f(4) = 1/2, lim_(z->inf) f(z) = 0, and lim_(z->1) f(z) = inf.
>>
>>8551176
It's a graph
You're welcome
>>
>>8553985
neat
>>
File: s.jpg (336KB, 1360x616px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
336KB, 1360x616px
I broked it
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.