[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a fun engineering project, I decided to engineer a "prosthetic"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 20161219_102418 2 .jpg (648KB, 2988x2245px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_102418 2 .jpg
648KB, 2988x2245px
As a fun engineering project, I decided to engineer a "prosthetic" hand (really, a mechanical model of the human hand) , but when going through the design process I came across a road bump. Hypothetically, is there a way to have a material (stainless steel) protrude externally from the skin without serious risks of infection or rejection? I'm not a medical student, but I understand that's a concern.

Pic related. Early sketch/part estimation
>>
>>8549960

My guess would be no. People get piercings all the time, which are small and in low blood-flow areas and they're still an infection risk. In something like your hand I don't think you could have a permanent extrusion without constantly having to disinfect it.
>>
>>8549960
Work on controlling the fingers and making them fully actuated. Realize making fully actuated fingers is harder than it looks. It's crap that a kid could make if you don't make the fingers fully actuated with independent control.

We can do that OP, those are called osteointegrated prosthesis, but there is still risk of infection. People with such prosthesis must be careful to avoid risks of infection.
>>
>>8550022
See, I wanted to avoid motors and go for replicating the functions of a hand. The design, hypothetically, would connect to existing residual tendons, and function EXACTLY like a natural hand. Not sure if that's practical, but it will be fun to play with that idea.
>>
>>8550069
Oh so now you want a sliding joint going into the arm?
>>
>>8549960
I'm not all that medically minded but isn't titanium generally regarded as better in regards to bodily rejection?
>>
>>8549960
I wish /sci/ would do more fun stuff like this rather than shitposting about popsci and endless thinly veiled homework requests. As far as having something actually protruding from the skin there would be a serious risk regardless of what steps you took to mitigate it. However, since we are throwing practicality to the wind, what if it wasn't protruding from the skin at all? Could the design have real skin grafted over it, thereby closing off the prosthesis/flesh interface from infection? I'm half asleep and realize that's retarded but maybe there's something there?
>>
>>8551739
Indeed, tell us why you need it protruding from the skin, OP.
If you do it carefully you probably transfer some electricity through the skin with induction, also you could transfer mechanical force with magnets.
>>
>>8549960
I would wrap a sealed-off glove around it to create a small section / surface where an infection might occur.

I hope you have fun with it, I do this every year and usually stop when I realize/remember that the constraints of realistic energy distribution are too high.
>>
>>8551739
Not that bad of an idea. They already use skin iPS cells to create skin to graft for burn victims with little to no chance of rejection (since they cells are from the patent himself).
>>
>tfw in first year engineering
>see this and panic
I can't even fucking design a fork
>>
>>8551796
>In it for the money

GET THE FUCK OOOOOOUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
>>
>>8551739
>>>/diy/ is what youre thinking of
>he doesnt browse both /sci/ and /diy/
>>
>>8549960
Why not synthesize skin and graft it over the prosthetic?
>>
>>8551796
Don't worry I'm in third year and I couldn't design chopsticks.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.