[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Medical Diagnosis Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Today, we have a 29 year old male presenting with severe pleuritic chest pain, Shortness of breath, and 1+ bilateral pedal edema. On pulse ox, he has 80% O2 saturation. What labs will you order next? What is you're differential diagnosis?
>>
>>8546988
sarcoidosis
>>
>>8546988
Is he fat?
Pulmonary embolism from some clot in his legs I guess.
Just give him some anti-clotting medication and o2. Monitor him for a few days, send him to a GP afterwards.
>>
>>8546990
Nope, but good gues
>>
>>8547000
Great Job!! He does have a PE. CT scan confirms this. However, the bilateral pedal edema is troubling. Duplex venous ultrasound shows a DVT in the right leg, but nothing in his left. So the next questions are: what anticlotting medication do you start? And how should you diagnose his edema?
>>
>>8547012
He also has been reporting some facial puffiness in the mornings.
>>
>>8546988
i got this one guys

i diagnose the doctor with brain damage
the patient has no symptoms
the situation has been handled
>>
>>8547012
>>8547015
ok I'm not actually that experienced.
>>
>>8547024
That's OK!! It's why we read!! For this guy, urinalysis comes back with 3+ proteinuria. He has a bad nephrotic syndrome, leading to hypercoagulability, which in turn lead to his PE. What may be causing his nephrotic syndrome?
>>
>>8547012
Would you place him on warfarin for the DVT?
>>
>>8547036
Absolutely, but that is a vitamin K antagonist and has a slow onset. What will you treat him with until the warfarin takes effect?
>>
>>8547040
Rat poison?
>>
>>8547047
hahaha very good, many rat poisons are anticoagulants, and were discovered when the FDA found a blood thinner that was a bit too strong. However, until the warfarin takes effect, you need to start him on heparin as a bridge until the warfarin takes effect, which would be when his INR is at 2, that should happen in about 48 hrs.
>>
>>8546988
I had pleurisy once. Not fun.
>>
>>8546988
not science, fuck off
>>
>>8547053
no fever!! Not pleurisy!!
>>
>>8547055
isthisniggasrs
>>
>>8547061
I don't remember if I had a fever or not. It was viral.
>>
>>8547055
no its not science if you talk about strictly the scientific method. You are right, it is not hypothesis, observe, evaluate hypothesis, formulate theory and so on. However, western medicine relies heavily on science being applied to human health. Many of the techniques and ideas used in medicine come directly from traditional science and so I think medicine has a place on this board.
>>
>>8547067
Oh I didnt mean you, I'm sure you did have pleurisy, and yes, that is a really painful and shitty condition. However, the patient in the vignette above does not have pleurisy. His pulse ox is low, and he has no fever, those dont match with pleurisy.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.