[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn´t it possible to reach or exceed the Speed Of Light?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: warp-drive-field.jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
warp-drive-field.jpg
12KB, 300x168px
I have heard so many scientists saying, that it is not possible to go faster than light or as fast, because you would need more energy the higher your speed is.

Now my thought was that these statements are wrong. In my Physical understanding I have this hypothesis:
If you start from one Point lets call it A and excellerate to 70% speed of light going to the direction of B. (in space many objects are moving in a very fast speed) soo lets say that faar away I have reached a galaxy or another object/ orientation point B that is almost as fast as me moving away for example 60% speed of light. so now in Relativity to B i am now only on 10% of the speed of light and I accelerate again relative to B in the same direction I was before to point C with 70% speed of light than iIwould have 130% speed of light in relativity to A.

I´m sorry for my bad explannations but these physics fuck my brain.

tl;dr
A->B travelled with 70% speed of light relative to start point
and B->C travelled with 70% speed of light
teach me if im wrong relative to start point
cant equal 100% or more relatively seen A->C?
>>
>>8546897
if you could speak english I'd probably be assed to try and explain
>>
>>8546901
If you can't comprehend what OP is stating than I have some bad news for you; you are a brainlet.
>>
>>8546897
From my understanding we've never seen it done so we assume it's impossible, similar to how it's "impossible" to fly by flapping your arms. Similar to all natural laws, if it looks true it is true until it's proved wrong.
>>
>>8546897
>I have heard so many scientists saying, that it is not possible to go faster than light or as fast, because you would need more energy the higher your speed is.
That's not the reason.

James Clerk Maxwell (a.k.a. the most based physicist ever) built the most solid theory of electromagnetism, and he found that the electromagnetic field propagates like a wave at a speed [math]c[/math] which he found was extremely close (and later discovered to be equal) to the speed of light in a vacuum. The problem was he derived this speed without assuming any frame of reference.

It was first assumed the speed and Maxwell's theory only applies in the "most absolute" frame of reference which was called Ether. Michelson deduced that if Ether exists, he could measure the speed of Earth relative to it with his interferometer, but it's always been measured to be 0.

It wasn't until Einstein that we concluded that Maxwell's equation apply in all inertial frames of reference, which naturally entail dilatation of time and the impossibility of exceeding the speed of light, as the speed of a photon emitted by you in your frame of reference must be the same as its speed in Earth's frame of reference. This cannot happen if both you and Earth have the same "speed of time".
>>
Because the momentum of all particles is given by
[eqn]p=\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/eqn]
Now suppose your velocity v is approaching c, your momentum goes to infinity which is impossible because that'd require infinite energy. It seems that space-time behaves in a way that, the faster you go, more energy you have to put in to accelerate, it looks like its an intrinsic property of nature to avoid massive particles reaching the speed of light.
>>
How the fuck do you manage to write something so fucking horrible, OP?

I'll give you an advice on that instead - next time before writing a thread, open Word and pre-write it there. Take your time to edit it and cut as much useless bullshit as possible, even if it takes you an entire hour. Everyone does this, and most people who write a maxed-out post usually take about 20 to 30 minutes to write and edit it so it seems persuasive and high-quality. The best posts I write that farm the most (You)s are usually posts where I've spent at least 20 minutes editing and cutting useless or bad-sounding words to make them sound more elegant.
>>
>>8546897
It's not impossible. Anything going FTL would have to be created FTL like a tachyon. Or just consider the correlations of entangled quantum states at space-like separated distances.
>>
>>8546897
No, due to relativity, you wouldn't be able to attain >100% of the speed of light relative velocities, due to time dilation and lorentz contraction.
To C, A would always appear to be travelling slower than the speed of light.
>>
>>8546897
You would have different speeds relative to the different observers because they are in different frames of reference. The speed of light is only a limit to any one frame of reference.
>>
>>8546897
>70% + 70% = 140% > 100%
jesus christ dude, you cant just add numbers together and pretend it makes sense.
if A-> B = 70% speed of light, and B -> C is also 70%, then A -> C = (70% + 70%)/(1 + (70%*70%)) = 94% < 100%
>>
>>8546997

This. Also, at v = c, this only converges for m going to zero.
>>
>>8546927
This is the best answer. Michelson-Morley experiment is an absolutely fucky experiment and really shows the reason why we need relativity to describe the universe.
>>
>>8546897
why does that pic look like a universal goatse
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.