[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Number Theory a Meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: disscloud.png (297KB, 1711x838px) Image search: [Google]
disscloud.png
297KB, 1711x838px
Now that finals are over and I have some time off, I thought I'd try to study something despite being a pathetic brainlet.

I have this number theory book I got a while back but couldn't get to partly because I'm lazy and partly because of school. My question for you autists: Is it worth learning?

Algebra and analysis seem a lot more interesting but number theory looks like it's better to ease brainlets into "real math".
>>
File: 1481830173581.jpg (46KB, 418x455px) Image search: [Google]
1481830173581.jpg
46KB, 418x455px
>>8545449

Shameless self bump
>>
>>8545449
what book?
>>
>>8545449
It will make you well rounded! Don't be afraid.
>>
File: Elementary Number Theory_Cover.jpg (442KB, 1250x1802px) Image search: [Google]
Elementary Number Theory_Cover.jpg
442KB, 1250x1802px
>>8545471

Pic related. An old high school math teacher of mine lent it to me after I got through calc and DE, said it'd be interesting. I have the solutions manual too, which might help.
>>
>>8545449
Probably less usefull than algebra and analysis, though some would argue it's more "fun"
>>
This thread just confirms all of people at /sci/ are just plebs. Number theory is the only point of mathematics, its queen and muse, to which all other fields are merely servants. That is why all the greatest mathematicians of all ages have been number theoreticians, or their work has at least had number theoretical consequences.
>>
>>8546164
Seems pleb tier.
>>
>>8545449
> My question for you autists: Is it worth learning?
Sure. As the problems are so easily described its very approachable, though the problems can still be extremely hard to solve. It will also help you tons in other fields of mathematics as theres an overlap between number theory and for instance group theory. My personal opinion is that it fucking sucks though, I dont like it.

>Algebra and analysis seem a lot more interesting but number theory looks like it's better to ease brainlets into "real math".
Again, yes I think they are more interesting, but as I said before there is an overlap. Not just between (abstract) algebra and number theory, but with analysis as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_number_theory

Problems past introductory courses in algebra and analysis need a lot of background knowledge though, so if by "real math" you mean proofs then yes certainly.

>>8547297
Fuck you.
>>
File: 1482025701540.jpg (45KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482025701540.jpg
45KB, 480x480px
>>8547444

Your digits confirm the will of kek. Thanks for the info, I've started working through it and hopefully it'll prove interesting.

If you see a brainlet shitposting stupid number theory related questions in the next few weeks, you have only yourself to blame.
>>
I used to think number theory was a meme and just playing with tricks and obscure facts, but there's much more to it.

Right now I'm taking an algebraic number theory course, and right until the last class, we didn't solve any problem, and instead developed all the algebra required to get to that point, and I can confirm, as some anon above said, that solving number theory problems are much more fun and satisfying that other fields.

NT has barely any applicability to other fields, especially at the elementary level, although other fields do have a lot of applicability to NT, so it may be more useful to start with analysis and/or algebra.

In my opinion, if I were to start from very little foundation, I'd start by taking a rigorous course in linear algebra (none of that matrix algebra and applications), since it is a very intuitive subject, easy to understand, has applications to ALL fields (including NT and even real life lmao) and is quite interesting if learnt with the right book / teacher.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.