[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bioinfomatics as a hobby/job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: bioinfo.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bioinfo.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
Is bioinformatics a good field to get into if I want to solve interesting problems using programming?
>>
not really

bioinformatics is a tool for biologists/biochemists
for example a software that contains a complete dna code of a specie, so instead of having to write all the base-pairs down they can just use a database

as a programmer it would be just like any other field, you make develop a software that's it
regardless of its function, you won't help solve any bio related issues
>>
>>8543663
You talking about bioinformatics software as used biologists and biochemists, which is really within the scope of those disciplines and not the field of bioinformatics itself.

It's like saying there aren't many interesting problems to solve in cartography because you won't help explore the world.

In the field of bioinformatics proper there are many interesting, domain-specific problems to solve both on the algorithmic level (e.g. in genome assembly) and in fiddly high-performance implementation details which could be of interest a computer scientist and programmer.
>>
Sure. Dedicated bioinformatics researchers are mostly CS/math transplants who are applying high-level information and CS theory to biological problems. Some of them don't even touch biological data ever, they just work on tool development.

If you think you can eke out a little more algorithmic efficiency from mapping alogrithms or statistical modeling, then go for it. Everyone in biology would be grateful.
>>
bunm
>>
>>8543608
Yes. I program software for molecular dynamics simulation for protein behavior and it is really interesting so far.
>>
>Bioinfomatics as a hobby

maybe if you're autismo
>>
>>8545446
Why? Should anyone do anything for the sake of money?
>>
Here goes another one
>>
catch this
>>
>>8545587
Okey buddy, I will
>>
It's rapidly integrating in almost all fields of biology.

Most people who do a biology master do a little programming on the side.

You would probably be sure of a job, but I would read up on biology and cell/community mechanics first to see if you're actually interested in the matter.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.