[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>heh...when am I ever gonna need to use Calculus in real life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

File: 1474854054022.gif (842KB, 350x260px)
1474854054022.gif
842KB, 350x260px
>heh...when am I ever gonna need to use Calculus in real life?
>>
It's true though, if you don't work in a STEM field you won't use it. How many situations outside studying or work have given you a reason to bust out some calculus?
>>
you never use calculus in "reel lyf"
>>
>>8542766
What if I want to calculate how much my house temperature will fluctuate throughout the day based on different variables?

Checkmate OP.
>>
>>8542768
Why would you take the course then?
>>
>>8542774
because it is obligatory in high school?
>>
We all use calculus on a daily basis in our heads though, most people just aren't aware of the formalism
>>
You either :
1 Tell them they are fucking plebs for not wanting to gain knowledge just for the sake of it.

2Tell them that calculus literally is applicable in every major field and even artistic ones, and the fact that you don't need yo learn it to barley pass the bar will also mean you will never actually be more than an average faggot regurgitating shit and there's no one but you for being a complete and utter pleb.
>>
>>8542766
You're right.

YOU might not need to because

YOU are going to be a burger flipper
>>
>>8542768
>>8542774
>>8542786
It wasn't obligatory in my high school, only if you did well enough in math that you skipped some of the lower classes like algebra/geometry/precalc. But it is important if you go into any kind of engineering field.
>>
>>8542766
really maeks u think

Like literally, it makes you think, that's my answer.
>>
>>8542788
No, the body does not unconsciously do math to get through the day.
>>
>>8542766
shut up and give me my hamburger
>>
>>8542766
When are you ever gonna need trigonometry in real life? When are you ever gonna need algebra in real life? When are you ever gonna need long division in real life?

Go home, Arnold. You're drunk.
>>
>>8542988
The same processes used in calculus are used intuitively by pretty much everyone on a daily basis. Calculus was discovered through the recognition and formalization of those processes.
>>
>>8542788
What if I never took calculus? How could I use something I never learned?
>>
>>8543003
this
I used it over several years in the development of a piece of hardware for the automotive industry. I made a lot of money as a result. I'm 41.
>>
>>8543080
>41
>rich
>still a virgin
Whats the point in even trying?
>>
>>8543055
No.. how can someone intuitively use calculus.
It literally exists to solve problems that couldn't be solved otherwise. It's not like it's a shortcut for things that could be figured out in other ways.
>>
>>8543099
If you think it's impossible for people to intuitively use calculus, then you have a strange definition of calculus.
>>
my math major allowed me to school anyone at billiards
>>
the two branches: architecture & physic
You use both integration & derivation
>>
We all use math every day;
to predict weather, to tell time, to handle money.
Math is more than formulas or equations;
it's logic, it's rationality,
it's using your mind to solve the biggest mysteries we know.
>>
>>8543111
Ugh....goddammit. Take my upvote, you filthy animal.
>>
>>8543055

Bullshit. Our brain uses simple heuristic means to approximate certain things.
For example if you are attempting to catch a ball, your brain is NOT calculating a quadratic equation but instead used the change of angle heuristic to roughly ascertain where the ball is going to land.

All without math.
>>
File: 1346731738847.gif (498KB, 262x200px) Image search: [Google]
1346731738847.gif
498KB, 262x200px
>>8542768
I always triply integrate the prices at my local food store what the fuck?
>>
Let's be honest. Past addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, how often do use the stuff you learned in math classes? I remember teachers constantly busting out word problems and saying "this is how you'll use it in real life" but even then it was some shit you could solve with the aforementioned methods
>>
>>8542766

this is so dumb, you can say the same thing about most things you do in school.
>>
>>8543965
At work I usually have to solve first degree polynomials kek. Uni taught me how to solve n degree polynomials.
>>
>>8543099
Before a child learns the word for poop, they will have pooped many times and know intuitively what pooping is without knowing the language to talk about it.

In this sense, the thing that IS calculus is used by people, even without being familiar with the terminology used in calculus.
>>
>>8543992
No body can teach you how to solve n degree-polynomials for n>4.

Literally impossible. Sounds like you didn't learn much at all.
>>
>>8543965
Yes, you need little to be mediocre. But obviously, someone who can understand numbers, predict and manipulate will get that promotion while you die in middle management hell.
>>
>>8544052
Lol you didn't learn basic numerical methods.?
>>
Unless you're on the cutting edge of whatever field you're in (I.e academia), all the actual math has likely been done for you already. You won't be solving integrals, you'll have a program that knows what integral to solve and how to do it.

It's still useful to learn, however. It can prevent you from accidentally reinventing the wheel in the rare occasion you DO need the math, and it's good to understand the basis of what you work on, if only on a conceptual level.

That said, I think college curriculums are often at odds with
>>
>>8544052
>No body can teach you how to solve n degree-polynomials for n>4.

There is a theorem that will allow you to find all rational roots for a polynomial and with some intuition you can apply it without having to do too many checks.

And if the roots aren't rational then first, ask your department to fire your retarded professor and then use numerical methods to approximate roots.

And even that is not always necessary because certain polynomials can be reduced to quadratics with a simple change of variable or maybe it has an easy factorization.

If you know polynomial division and the theorem I mentioned about finding all the rational roots then you are set for life.
>>
>>8542772
Why would your house temperature fluctuate?
>>
for me and civ you will never need calculus in your work
for linear you will need to know how to enter stuff into a calulator
ode cannot even remember how or why they exist

>>8543013
to a engineer trig is the most useful branch of math
>>
>>8544052
x^5-32=0
I can solve this one really really easily. And I can teach you how to solve this, too.
:^)
>>
>>8544045
No it isn't. Give me a single example.
>>
>>8543171
You don't consciously grasp the processes because you haven't formalized them. It's not bullshit at all actually, how do you think math was discovered? Maybe some wizards sat near a campfire and scribbled random lines on paper? No, people just consciously became aware of processes that are happening in our minds already and derived symbols to describe them.
>>
>>8543055
approximation is not calculus.
and in fact physics is highly non-intuitive.
>>
>>8544558
LOL no
>>
>>8544551
Calculating areas, approximating areas by smaller ones, using limits, the word infinity, using real numbers, knowing things like speed, acceleration, slopes, knowing that balls will arc when thrown,, etc
>>
>>8544569
None of that is calculus, except areas, which you have to approximate being the key concept.

Think about the algorithm someone uses to intuitively approximate the area of an irregular shape. Is it similar to calculus? No, not at all.
>>
>>8543099
do you even know what calculus is? it's the study of change. our minds process change all the time.
every time you hit the brakes in you car, the sensation you feel can be described by calculus, but our brains know what braking in a car feels like without doing an ounce of differentiation. maths is just the written expression of shit everybody experiences a thousand times a day. nobody "intuitively uses calculus", but we do use an abstract way of thinking about the same thing as calculus.

also fuck you. do your calculus or you wont get a decent job.
>>
>>8544621
Perceiving acceleration or tracking movement isn't abstract thought you brainlet.

>I can hear, see, thus I know calculus
derp
>>
>>8544621
>We don't do thing you're saying we don't do but you're dumb and don't know what calculus is
Wow we got a real fucking genius critical thinker over here.
>>
>>8544634
perceiving acceleration and movement isnt abstract, you're right. but we do have an understanding of it despite not necessarily knowing how to do calculus. abstract is probably the wrong term, but it's not mathematical

>>8544641
i was agreeing with him. we DONT use calculus "intuitively". what i was getting at is that the situations calculus describes in detail are handled by our brain regardless of our knowledge of calculus
>>
>>8544753
>what i was getting at is that the situations calculus describes in detail are handled by our brain regardless of our knowledge of calculus

This is what I meant when I said we use it intuitively. That's my bad on my poor wording. Basically our brain tackles the same problems in an intuitive way, and mathematicians constructed models to describe those problems using the language of math. Of course no one was born doing differentials and integrals in their heads, but we solve the same real world problems using analogous and intuitive logic. I hope that clears things up for everyone a bit.
>>
>>8542826
>thinks he's enlightened because he took a babby-tier math class
How many fedoras and size XL jackets do you own?
>>
>>8544776
Lol fagg, just got my PhD. I understand calculus is the plebiest of plebs of courses, but if your average faggot has problems with it, it shows how incompetent your average nigger is.
>>
>>8544798
>Bragging about a useless skill that any idiot can learn
I wasn't aware being a McDonalds cashier required a phd but you proved me wrong
>>
>>8544811
Well, obviously for someone who's only aspirations are working at McDonalds it will seem like a useless skill. Kys
>>
>>8543078
because you are a fucking retard if you don't understand basic rates of change and "hmm just because i drove an average of 60 mph doesn't mean i was going that speed the whole time, what about instantaneous speeds at any given instant"
>>
>>8543099
let him be retarded.

more money for me
>>
>>8544882
Yeah you're definitely making bank bagging my groceries brainlet
>>
>>8544506
different variables
>>
File: plato.jpg (6KB, 172x236px) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
6KB, 172x236px
>>8543078
>>
>>8544558
>>>8543171 (You)
>You don't consciously grasp the processes because you haven't formalized them. It's not bullshit at all actually, how do you think math was discovered? Maybe some wizards sat near a campfire and scribbled random lines on paper? No, people just consciously became aware of processes that are happening in our minds already and derived symbols to describe them.

Please read up on the topic, before you spout nonsense
>>
>>8544549
Kek. Nice
>>
>>8543957
>I always triply integrate the prices at my local food store what the fuck?
this. our stores over here only tell the price density so you need to do the calc yourself
>>
>>8544549
I donut believe you
>>
>>8542766
>>
>>8544798
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as calculus, is in fact, real analysis, or as I've recently taken to calling it, ⎛⎝R,+,×,⩽,|⋅|,τ={A⊂R∣∀x∈A,∃ε>0,]x−ε,x+ε[⊂A},⋂Aσ-algebra ofRτ⊂AA,l⎞⎠(R,+,×,⩽,|⋅|,τ={A⊂R∣∀x∈A,∃ε>0,]x−ε,x+ε[⊂A},⋂Aσ-algebra ofRτ⊂AA,l)-analysis. Calculus is not a branch of mathematics unto itself, but rather another application of a fully functioning analysis made useful by topology, measure theory and vital RR-related properties comprising a full number field as defined by pure mathematics.

Many mathematics students and professors use applications of real analysis every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the application of real analysis which is widely used today is often called "Calculus", and many of its users are not aware that it is merely a part of real analysis, developed by the Nicolas Bourbaki group.

There really is a calculus, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the field they use. Calculus is the computation process: the set of rules and formulae that allow the mathematical mind to derive numerical formulae from other numerical formulae. The computation process is an essential part of a branch of mathematics, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete number field. Calculus is normally used in combination with the real number field, its topology and its measured space: the whole system is basically real numbers with analytical methods and properties added, or real analysis. All the so-called calculus problems are really problems of real analysis.
>>
>>8546439
K
>>
>>8546439
Kek
>>
File: perfect.png (1MB, 574x954px) Image search: [Google]
perfect.png
1MB, 574x954px
>>8542766
>real life

"Real life" is a meme.

Academia... the internet... rural environments, urban environments... it's all real life. Whether you like it or not, everything we experience is part of reality. "Real life" is just code for "the capitalist system."
>>
>>8544961
>muh questions
>muh eidos
>muh anamnesis
>>
>>8542988
>No, the body does not unconsciously do math to get through the day.
That's.... questionable.
>>
>>8546516
kek, this

considering how you spend an appreciable amount of your lifetime in school, i never understood how it's not considered "real life"
>>
>>8542766
If you're an American you can use calculus to calculate the tragectory of a bullet you fire into the air during the fourth of july.

AKA you can work out that you shouldn't do that.
>>
File: IMG_3632.jpg (46KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3632.jpg
46KB, 398x500px
>>8542833
>>
File: IMG_3634.jpg (48KB, 600x657px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3634.jpg
48KB, 600x657px
>>8546560
>>
>>8542988
Except it does. How do you think you can catch a ball somebody has thrown to you?

Your brain has created structures that intuitively solve these calculus and trig problems. Its not "formal" knowledge, and won't really help you on an exam, but your brain "knows" how to do it either way.
>>
>>8546588
Just because you can represent the problem with mathematical formulae doesn't mean a dog does math to catch a ball.
>>
>>8544957
Kek
>>
>>8542766
desu some parts of calc are pretty useless.
>>
>>8546736
Such as...?
>>
>>8544506
>Being this retarded
I hope this is bait.
>>
>>8546438
jej
>>
>>8542766
If you are a brainlet working in McDonalds , you won't obviously use calculus.
>>
>>8543078
>Hasn't read Meno
>>
>>8543083
>implying 40 year old virgins exist
>>
File: mozart.jpg (23KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
mozart.jpg
23KB, 460x460px
>>8548084
>t. 40 year old virgin
>>
>>8546588
>How do you think you can catch a ball somebody has thrown to you?
Are you that dense?
>doesn't mean a dog does math to catch a ball.
This.
The chameleon in this picture is a renowned theoretical physicist.
>>
Its a measure of intelligence, if you cant understand cslculus on a deeper level than chugging variables around you are a retarded brainlet
>>
>>8546686
>>8548335
>how are stimuli datas communicated in a lifeform
>how are those datas manipulated

>not binary
>not algorithmically

>not math

Ishygddt
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.