[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grothendieck's 18 Mutants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: grothendieck.jpg (103KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
grothendieck.jpg
103KB, 620x372px
Grothendieck saw 18 people as being "Mutants" people ahead of their time

here are the 18

http://anandamb.blogspot.com/2006/04/grothendiecks-18.html

C. F. S. Hahnemann (1755 – 1843): German doctor and scholar, renewed the medicine of his time.
C. Darwin (1809 – 1882): English scientist.
W. Whitman (1819 – 1892): American journalist, poet and teacher.
B. Riemann (1826 – 1866): German mathematician.
Râmakrishna (1836 – 1886): Indian (Hindu) saint.
R. M. Bucke (1837 – 1902): American doctor, psychiatrist and scholar.
P. A. Kropotkine (1842 – 1921): Russian geographer and scholar; anarchist revolutionary.
E. Carpenter (1844 – 1929): Minister, farmer, English thinker and writer.
S. Freud (1856 – 1939): Austrian doctor, psychiatrist; creator of Psychoanalysis.
R. Steiner (1861 – 1925): German scholar, philosopher, writer, orator, pédagogue ... ; visionary teacher, creator of anthroposophy.
M. K. Gandhi (1881 – 1955): Indian advocate and politician; spread the message of 'ahimsa' (non-violence).
P. Teilhard de Chardin (1881 – 1955): French paleontologist, religious(Christian) thinker, worked for a reconciliation of religion and science.
A. S. Neill (1883 – 1973): English teacher and educator, who supported an education in liberty.
N. Fujii (aka Fujii Guruji) (1885 – 1985): Japanese Buddhist monk.
J. Krishnamurti (1895 – 1985): Orator, Indian religious thinker and writer.
M. Legaut (1900 - ...): University teacher, farmer, French Christian religious thinker and writer, pupil of Jesus of Nazareth, worked for a renewal of the spirit of the Christianity.
F. Carrasquer (1904 - ...): Spanish public school teacher, educator and militant anarchist.
... Solvic (1923? ... 1945): American worker, who worked apparently without any particular appointment.
DA FUQ, Grothy was a little weird
>>
>DA FUQ, Grothy was a little weird
why?
It's well known that he was very much into eastern spirituality etc.

Also, his senpai was killed by Nazis and stuff, no wonder he was a little on the odd side

I always wanted to read works on Steiner.
>>
>>8542349
I find it interesting the only mathematician he chooses is Riemann...

over Gauss, Newton, Euler etc. etc.

interesting
>>
any math person

can you explain why Grothy would only choose Riemann as his "18" among many other great mathematicians?
>>
No sign of Leibniz? Obviously this list is bullshit.
>>
>>8542356
B/c geometry masterrace.
>>
>>8542461
was leibniz smart?
>>
>>8542597

I'm not that guy but about a decade ago, I took a course in modern philosophy - rationalists, empiricists, and later synthesis (Kant). The professor's interest was philosophy of science, and he seemed to be a reasonable sort. Was a pretty good class.

According to this professor (and he made a specific point of mentioning this one occasion), Leibniz was known among certain of his contemporaries as "the monster" due to the profound breadth and depth of his education and intelligence. I regret that I have not been able to substantiate this anecdote with a link, but I do believe the professor even if the reference is obscure.

Obviously, the appellation of "monster", meant to indicate a rarity even among geniuses, an intellect so superior as to be frightening, almost post-human (the recently popular images of Wojak with an absurdly huge brain are a good object-lesson here) is very close to whatever Grothendieck's exact meaning with "mutant" was supposed to be (far ahead of one's own time, in the link's telling).
>>
>>8542618
interesting

would you say Leibniz intellect was genetic, or do you think it was his general curiosity

do you think his contemporaries could of strove to all that knowledge, or was Leibniz a one of a kind figure?
>>
>>8542597
>Was Leibniz smart
>Is water wet

Leibniz is probably one of the top 5 smartest humans to ever exist on this fucking rock....to even ask that question, is beyond trolling
>>
>>8542632
>would you say Leibniz intellect was genetic, or do you think it was his general curiosity

Not that other faggot but intelligence is mostly genetic, general curiosity is a symptom of high intelligence, not its cause.
>>
>>8542637
it's not a rock
>>
>>8542644
but if that is true, Newton for example was also very smart

but he obviously didn't strive for the same breath of fields that Leibniz did

he was much more concentrated
>>
>>8542645
well not technically, no
>>
>>8542645
What?
>>
I have a mutant grothendick in my pants
>>
>>8542330
I know this must be old, but where the fuck is Da Vinci? Honestly, the man deserves to be on there, he was centuries ahead of his peers
>>
>>8542751
OwO

pics pls
>>
>the creator of homeopathy is considered one of the 18 people so far ahead of their time
>>
I'm glad to see the Grothendieck meme still lives

at least people can translate his works in full now, RIP you crazy bastard
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.