[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Textbooks with typos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (29KB, 480x284px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 480x284px
>be me
>doing HW for Linear algebra
>finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors and whatnot
>answer does not match the one in the book
>think I'm a brainlet
>check the chapter example
>the example uses a 9 somewhere in the matrix but when the steps start they use a 6
>person who owned the book before me fixed some mistakes
>stuck on a problem for hours trying to figure out where I went wrong
>next day
>ask to do problem in class
>prof does all work out
>everything including answer is what I had
>all other students agree and ask about the books answer
>"that must be a typo" says the prof
>mfw

And this wasn't the only case of this happening. Typos like this happen in multiple parts of the book. How does a book with this many fuckups get past the publication process?

In /sci/s experience, what is the textbook with the most amount of typos?
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 398x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 398x499px
This is the textbook I was using
>>
>>8539476
>>8539480
Thank you for the warning, OP.
>>
Write a letter to the publishers listing all the typos you found.

Hopefully they can correct them in the next edition
>>
File: stand.jpg (534KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
stand.jpg
534KB, 1280x720px
>>8539480
Engineering Mathematics. Throw that shit in the garbage.
>>
>>8539476
>>8539495
Ask for a co-authorship/co-editorship credit in the publication too, for all of your hard work.
>>
>>8539512
I might if the book wasn't published 9 years ago. I assume there's a new edition out by now
>>
>>8539476
You should be able to figure out it's a typo. Also, use Matlab to double check calculation.
>>
>>8539476
>doing chem problems
>solution is written 700mm instead of 700nm
>mfw 700mm wavelength
>>
>>8539495
>next edition

Usually it's fixed in the next printing.
>>
>>8539585
LMAOOOOOOO
>>
>>8539480
>first edition
That's where you fucked up, basically means that it's unedited garbage.
>>
>>8539476
check book site for errata sheet
>>
>f(x, y)=x^2+y^2
>the level curves of f(x, y)=k are circles of radius k, not k^1/2
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.