[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>chemistry class >it's actually just dimensional analysis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

>chemistry class
>it's actually just dimensional analysis
>>
>/sci/ thread
>its actually just a brainlet shitpost
>>
>>8538364
>brainlet shitpost
>it's actually just a simulation
>>
Given that the overwhelming majority of chemistry and catalysis is subject to the law of conservation of mass, dimensional analysis (and by extension stoichiometry) are the foundation of the field. Do you really expect an introductory survey course to teach you cool reactions without first providing the prerequisite knowledge needed to understand them?
>>
>>8539366

This my nigga.

Knowing all those fancy organic reaction mechanisms doesn't help you know how much you can expect to get out of a reaction. Stoichiometry is the foundation.
>>
>>8539431
Naw, because an organic mechanism in principle demonstrates where atoms come from in new chemical linkages or, alternatively, where atoms go when bonds are broken. Good mechanisms are wholly consistent with mass balance.

By "understand" a reaction, I mean that in many number of ways. Take energetics: you can't derive the thermodynamics of a reaction without having a balanced equation, nor can you describe how much energy is released/consumed without dimensional analysis. Without being able to know reaction thermodynamics, it's impossible to understand reaction equilibria which is a significant problem if you want to understand how to manipulate chemical reactions (e.g., why a huge excess of one reagent will work, why adding more catalyst won't fix an unfavorable equilibrium, when acid/base chemistry will work). You absolutely need to understand dimensional analysis to understand any of these things meaningfully.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.