[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bohmian Mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Mr_Mittens.png (35KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
Mr_Mittens.png
35KB, 300x250px
Physfags, is this a meme? I've been intrigued ever since I saw this video
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIyTZDHuarQ&t=326s

Apparently there are papers that are still published on this
> Pilot Wave perspective on spin, Norsen, (2014) American Journal of Physics
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1305.1280.pdf

Bohmian Trajectories as the Foundation of Quantum Mechanics, Goldstein (2010)
http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~tumulka/papers/GTZ.pdf
Apparently it has some recent experimental support as well, resolving a conceptual argument against Pilot Wave theories
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160517-pilot-wave-theory-gains-experimental-support/
>>
>>8538244
It's overly complicated and needs way more assumptions to work than Copenhagen (which really is not as unintuitive as people claim). The problem is that people seem to be clinging to the idea that particles are tiny things flying around, bouncing off each other etc. They are not, period. It's all about fields and once you got that, the whole discussion will seem ridiculous to you.

In the end all I see in the pilot wave bullshit is forcing a belief about physics into a theory. It's like when Aristotle proposed his geocentric model: The idea that the earth is indeed not the center of the universe seemed so inconvenient, that he did some insane mental gymnastics to make sense of a geocentric universe. It's literally just a coordinate transformation. It works for what it is, but the model was opaque regarding the fundamental mechanics at work, gravity.

So what I see in the pilot wave stuff is that an aspect of the apparent weirdness of quantum mechanics is taken and moved into a new, much more complicated and much less intuitive part of quantum mechanics. Mind, not because there is new physics hidden somewhere, but for convenience's sake. Of course you can formulate quantum mechanics in a million different, equivalent ways, but sometimes you should just realize when your approach doesn't really add anything, but keeping a few old ideas intact that are not really helpful in retrospect.
>>
>>8538262
>It's overly complicated

No it isn't.

>needs way more assumptions to work than Copenhagen

That particles exist and their momentum is exactly the momentum of the wave function at their location?
>>
>>8538264
>No it isn't.
Yes it is. You need to introduce a lot of shit into the system without any apparent reason to make it work. Copenhagen is straight-forward on the other hard. In the context of QFTs is perfectly clear what happens. Pilot waves in the context of QFTs then again are absolutely ridiculous.

>That particles exist and their momentum is exactly the momentum of the wave function at their location?
The question here really is, why do you need those assumptions? Really, why? If you knew what those quantities are in quantum mechanics, then you wouldn't even bother about it at all.
>>
>>8538244
>is this a meme
Lrn2meme fgt pls
>>
>>8538244
God I wish the word "quantum" wasn't as big of a retard magnet as it is.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.