[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Matter Meme BTFO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: dark-matter-sky-2.jpg (162KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
dark-matter-sky-2.jpg
162KB, 2048x1152px
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060214080204.htm
>What if there was a theory that explains the observed universe without dark matter?
>A Chinese astronomer from the University of St Andrews has fine-tuned Einstein's groundbreaking theory of gravity, creating a 'simple' theory which could solve a dark mystery that has baffled astrophysicists for three-quarters of a century.
Dark matter is officially a defunct concept by """"""""""physicists"""""""""" who couldn't think outside of the box

What does /sci/ think of this?
>>
So what's the solution?
>>
first the EM drive now this
2016 is just not the physicist year
>>
Interesting if true. Now to see if it holds up to scrutiny
>>
>>8538212
>December 31, 2016

Physicists have claimed to have discovered a new "dark universe" similar to ours that can be detected with a new concept known as the "dark scale".
>>
Am I missing something, or was this article written more than 10 years ago?
>>
>>8538218
>2006

Haven't heard much
>>
>They have created a formula that allows gravity to change continuously over various distance scales and, most importantly, fits the data for observations of galaxies.

Wow, it's fucking MOND again. There are dozens of modified gravities out there, they can all fit rotation curves because that's not hard. The data has been around for decades. In the case of MOND they just literally put in an arbitrary modification of Newtonian Dynamics so it would fit the data. These models cannot however fit the Bullet Cluster lensing without dark matter. No modified gravity which is simply a function of radius will ever explain the Bullet Cluster. Dark matter on the other hand naturally explains the Bullet Cluster.

The fact this is from 2006 and nothing came of it tells you all you need to know. What these two actually did was add a second fudge function to MOND so it would fit clusters (still not the Bullet Cluster, relaxed clusters which MOND previously needed hot dark matter for).

https://arxiv.org/abs/1207.6232

The Dark Matter "meme" will die when there is a model which even approaches it's observational success. This isn't it. And personally I don't find unjustified, arbitrary modifications to known laws any more satisfying than matter I can't see.
>>
>>8538183
>chinese scientists
>scientists
Pick one
>>
>>8538341
>Bullet Cluster
Are there any other observations similar to the bullet cluster?
>>
File: 15-046 (1).png (1MB, 985x594px) Image search: [Google]
15-046 (1).png
1MB, 985x594px
>>8538391
Yes. Colliding clusters aren't rare by any stretch. The Bullet Cluster is one of the best examples because the the shock in the x-ray gas means you can constrain the kinematics.
>>
>>8538183
>physicists
Literally the most smug and at the same time retarded faggots in the science community.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.