[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How smart do you have to be to read/understand Euclid's Elements?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: elements.jpg (113KB, 500x426px) Image search: [Google]
elements.jpg
113KB, 500x426px
How smart do you have to be to read/understand Euclid's Elements?
>>
you have to finish multivariable calculus by the end of highschool before you even think of reading that
>>
I liked that part in the movie Lincoln where Lincoln's waiting for a telegram chatting with an engineer, and cites Euclid's Elements, realizing that Hamiilton was quoting from him when they used the line "We hold these truths to be self evident..."
>>
>>8537914
>how smart do i have to be to understand dumb dumb maths from 2000 yeras ago because the people 2000 years ago must be sooo much smarter than us in {Current_Year}
>>
>>8537914
If you get a compass and straight edge and draw all the proofs as you go then it's pretty much impossible not to get.
>>
you have to be a retard in order to read the book. no one worth a damn wastes his time on such outdated books
>>
>>8538099
There are modernized versions of that book though. I have one that was written with intention of preparing middle schoolers for math Olympics, which was basically a book on proofs. It shared with Elements the approach of proving your way up from axioms, basic theorems to all the other theorems in geometry. I agree that reading the original Elements is pointless, but reading its modernized versions or books heavily inspired by it is not.
>>
File: 2010457.png (329KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
2010457.png
329KB, 555x555px
This paper introduces Tarski's system of axioms for synthetic (i.e., non-coordinate) geometry:

http://siba-ese.unisalento.it/index.php/notemat/article/viewFile/13743/12124

Apparently this system subsumes Hilbert's:

http://www.michaelbeeson.com/research/papers/TarskiProvesHilbert.pdf

But very little else seems to have been written on synthetic geometry.

Is it a dead field, or are there simply things out there that I've missed?
>>
>>8538099

>he thinks that the Elements are outdated

more ahistoricity and failure of understanding from /sci/.

The irony of your post is that your claim would have been valid if you had been talking about just about any other areas of the sciences apart from math

But I know now by your own admission that you're nineteen years old, plus or minus a year. Or if not then your education is at that level.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.