[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was classical mechanics mathematically complete? I heard that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1481496547280.jpg (87KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1481496547280.jpg
87KB, 600x450px
Was classical mechanics mathematically complete? I heard that there were sort of unanswered questions/inconsistencies with the math of it that was vindicated with the model being abandoned
>>
>>8537444
Newtonian mechanics doesn't predict orbits accurately enough.

Classical mechanics fails to predict motion of light and black body radiation.
>>
>>8537449
Ah, so this was it. Thanks. Is there other stuff too?
>>
>>8537449
That doesn't mean that the math behind it is wrong, it just doesn't describe physics correctly.
>>
>>8537463
The electron model created by bohr is considered classical and the best way to explain qm using classic physics.

You can get to schrodinger wave equation from it making some assumptions. This is called semi classical. Ofc, bohr made an assumption that energy was quantized, which can't be explained by classical mechanics where the electron should be anywhere. This is related to Blackbody so I didn't mention the first time.
>>
>>8537471
If you want to argue that way, then I say the axioms on which the model was based were flawed. The math doesn't exist outside of context, which is wrong.
>>
>>8537444
>Was classical mechanics mathematically complete?
Hopefully not, since that would make it mathematically inconsistent.
>>
File: 1481583962367.jpg (42KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1481583962367.jpg
42KB, 500x374px
>>8537490

8/8 shitpost, actually kek'd
>>
File: 1481343344512-1.jpg (10KB, 192x220px)
1481343344512-1.jpg
10KB, 192x220px
>>8537479

You can have a theory that is perfectly valid mathematically and doesn't accurately describe a damn thing about the real world.

Because math isn't fundamentally about describing the real world, despite what engineering brainlets will claim
>>
>>8537444
No one has been able to connect Classical and Analytical mechanics
>>
>>8537444
>the model being abandoned

It was never abandoned. Have you never taken physics 1?
>>
>>8538340
You mean the principle of least action? Doesn't that imply newton's equations?
>>
>>8538339
It doesn't ever not describe something about the real world. It always describes what it is possible for us to cognize, and that mechanism of cognition is very much real.
>>
>>8538342
Sorry bro, but I program my physics engine always relatively, so it doesn't fucking suck if Master Chief walks with velocities near c.
>>
>>8537444
http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Fountain/

this kind of motion is very hard to derive equations of motion for

so yes there are unsolved problems in mechanics

>>8538351
if you want to define it that way then consider mechanics as describing the real world imagined according to the rules of mechanics.

Since according to you this made up world that we have imagined is infact part of the real world.

therefore your point in >>8537449 is still irrelevent since in our imaginary mechanics world, there does not exist relativity or quantum effects.
>>
>>8538340
>No one has been able to connect Classical and Analytical mechanics
lol
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.