[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /sci/ knows of any great scientist or engineer who failed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: tesla64[1].jpg (12KB, 310x354px) Image search: [Google]
tesla64[1].jpg
12KB, 310x354px
Does /sci/ knows of any great scientist or engineer who failed classes or didn't care about his grades? I just graduated in EE with a really high GPA (3.8) and I really want to pursue a master degree but I have an incredibly fear of failure. I suffered a lot through college, fearing I would fail a class and I can't pass through this again doing my masters. I know this sounds crazy and hard to believe but is the true. I need some safety, i need to know that great people failed in that too so that i can allow myself to fail and not be overwhelmed by feelings of inadequacy.
>>
File: 1481489057502.gif (2MB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1481489057502.gif
2MB, 499x499px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Smale

>Smale entered the University of Michigan in 1948.[3][4] Initially, he was a good student, placing into an honors calculus sequence taught by Bob Thrall and earning himself A's. However, his sophomore and junior years were marred with mediocre grades, mostly Bs, Cs and even an F in nuclear physics. However, with some luck, Smale was accepted as a graduate student at the University of Michigan's mathematics department. Yet again, Smale performed poorly in his first years, earning a C average as a graduate student. It was only when the department chair, Hildebrandt, threatened to kick Smale out that he began to work hard.[5] Smale finally earned his Ph.D. in 1957, under Raoul Bott.
>>
>>8534724
>any great scientist or engineer who failed classes or didn't care about his grades

if you can't comprehend science, then how the fuck do you imagine being a great scientist.

it's like asking does anyone know a good writer that didn't know how to read.
>>
>>8534749
THIS MOTHERFUCKER GOT A FIELDS MEDAL

HOW THE FUCK.

What happened?

I am not even going to ask. I bet that motherfucker lost his virginity in his sophomore year and just started doing hard drugs and fucking prostitutes and shit. I would bet on this shit.
>>
>>8534724
Einstein failed a physics class and he wasn't the best student.
>>
>>8534749
there's still hope for me and the smart but lazy crowd
:)
>>
File: 74958.jpg (41KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
74958.jpg
41KB, 500x374px
>>8534800
Smart but lazy.
>>
>>8534806
I wish this meme dies one day:

>''CONTRARY to a popular legend that has given comfort to countless slow starters, young Albert Einstein was remarkably gifted in mathematics, algebra and physics, academic records recently acquired from Swiss archives show.
The records, contained in a collection of the great theorist's papers now being prepared for publication at Princeton, confirm that Einstein was a child prodigy, conversant in college physics before he was 11 years old, a ''brilliant'' violin player who got high marks in Latin and Greek. But his inability to master French was the bane of his school days, and may have been chiefly responsible for his failing college entrance examinations.''

So so suck it, all you ''late bloomers''.
>>
>>8534859
I am not referring to that. HE failed an experimental physics course due to his unwillingness to follow the instructions (which led to an accident). Also, in college, he wasn't as good in math as he was in physics. You can read in Einstein: His Life and Universe
Book by Walter Isaacson
>>
>>8534873

>One failure in an experimental class
>Genius in physics, only outstanding in math.

That's hardly a consolation.
>>
>>8534724
great people fail all the time. if they didn't they'd never have to actually work on something or reiterate an idea.
>>
>>8534724

the era of solo geniuses was xix xx century
now u have colllective projects
>>
>>8534789
some peeps get shit grades because they don't apply themselves
>>
>>8534724
After returning to Italy, at age 18 University of Bologna physicist Augusto Righi, neighbour of Marconi who had done research on Heinrich Hertz's work, permitted Marconi to attend lectures at the university and use the lab and library as well.[12] Marconi received further education in Florence at the Istituto Cavallero and, later, in Livorno.[13][not in citation given] Marconi did not do well in school, according to Robert McHenry,[14] though historian Giuliano Corradi characterizes him in his biography as a true genius.[15]

from wikipedia
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.