[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we replace oil in manufacturing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

How do we replace oil in manufacturing?
>>
>>8534518
electricity obviously.
>>
>>8534518
Obviously make all transportation electric. If we aren't burning it, we can use current reserves for plastics for a very long time.
>>
>>8534626
electricity makes plastic cups and polyester shirts, etc?
>>
>>8534634
Use electricity for all the things where you'd otherwise burn oil

Then you have enough oil to make plastic until you can engineer microbes and fungi and spiders to make biopolymers for you
>>
I use astroglide.
>>
>>8534518
>What are synthetic polymers not made from fossil fuels?
BLOWN, THE, FUCK, OUT!
>>
This problem will solve itself as soon as microorganisms adapt to be able to digest it. There are plastic eating ants already.
>>
I didn't know oil had so many uses.

Imagine if you could genetically engineer algae to convert CO2 into crude oil. You could engineer a black box with some algae bio reactors and solar panels on the roof that can construct almost anything. Collect rain water and it'll be 100% self sufficient self contained factory. You put nothing into it, and it spits out virtually any product you could want.
>>
>>8535308
What do they poop?
>>
>>8535293
They're already making biopolymers, they're just not as economically feasible as petrol based ones.

There's actually a few startups in my area that have biodegradable and bioengineered polymers that are only about 10-15% more expensive than traditional plastics. I doubt they'll replace oil any time soon, but it's nice to know that they're close enough where realistic tax cuts and environmental regulations could potentially lead to significantly less landfill waste.
>>
>>8535301

>being into anal
top savage
>>
>>8535950
>landfill waste
Never understood this. In my country 99 % of non recyclable waste is burned in district heating plants. We have no land fills and it doesn't seem like a good idea to have land fills. Why don't other countries do the same?
>>
>>8536104
Multiple factors. First being its not the legislature first agenda.
>>
>>8535950
when there is a shit ton of empty land it is much easier and cheaper to just dump it all in one spot than to construct and run an expensive incinerator plant
>>
>>8534518
Petroleum is just a cheap hydrocarbon feedstock. There are plenty of other ways to produce hydrocarbons.
>>
>>8536106
Yeah i suppose. My country has very good public utility infrastructure, which probably makes transition to low emission power a lot easier. I suppose this is not the case for most of the world. For example i was in Prague a while ago and i noticed that almost no appartment buildings even had central boiler heating, but instead had gas radiatiors that burned gas in it radiators themselves instead of in a boiler. Addapting to low emission fuels or power would probably be a lot huger of a public investment and equaly huge investment for individual people than here since the infrastructure allready exists and you could "just" change the source of heat generation and such. It put things in perspective actually.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.