[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mars Colony

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 400px-Concept_Mars_colony.jpg (41KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Concept_Mars_colony.jpg
41KB, 400x309px
>How long until we colonize mars?
>How do we colonize mars?
>Can we terraform the planet?
>Could we create and nation on mars?

General mars discussion.
>>
Military already has bases there.
>>
>>8534473
Post some pics
>>
>>8534477
It's classified.
>>
>>8534479
Pls, i wont share it with anybody
>>
>>8534470
First 10 people land in 2024, followed by 100 in 2026 and 100 to 200 more every two years after that.

However you want, surface structures, underground. Mars has higher surface radiation than Earth but it's still only equivalent to getting a CT scan once a year - the atmosphere is thin but not nonexistent and you're further away from the sun.

Short answer no. Even approaching it is a problem that won't be addressed for a century, and assuming we don't go extinct or Dark Age by then there'll be all kinds of unfathomable options involving fusion power and weak AI

Why the fuck not?
>>
>>8534618
Oh, and one more thing on terraforming

If we reach the point where Mars is self sustaining, where a Martian colony structure full of Martian citizens sustained by Martian grown food can use Martian energy and Martian raw materials to create a second colony where they can grow more food and have babies, eventually you can "terraform" the entire planet one square meter at a time.
>>
>>8534479
pls I be your firend in Tibia you can have my kight gear and green chair just tell me and give pics D: D:
>>
>>8534479
I'll give you like 5 bucks for it.
>>
>>8534618
probably a bit later than that, but it's not impossible. Radiation is less of an issue due to Hydrogenated boron nitride nanotubes,which can even be used to make the suits they wear good enough that you can stay outside for multiple hours without too much concern. Power is interesting, I'd personally go with hauling over a nuclear reactor but solar is workable,they could potentially use excess electricity to fix methane out of the atmosphere for both rocket fuel and as a back-up power source. Food is going ot take some time to build up but we've come miles in hydroponics, with the right arrangement of mirrors and possibly a small local magnetic field to help deal with radiation we could have domes full of edible plants,or build them underground and use LED bulbs if we want to go that route.

It's hard, but doable. It will get done if enough people want it badly enough.
>>
>>8534470
The closer we get the more subtle complications will arise. It won't happen for a while yet. Fucking astronauts in low-orbit around Earth start going blind after 6 months without treatment to alleviate it, due to low/zero gravity and fluid build up, there are hundreds of subtle complications like this, most of which we don't know of or understand properly. Getting to and on Mars would have it's own host of unique complications regarding our biology. Our space suits don't protect us from all radiation either. If we were to create a colony (which would really be a tiny environment with some temporary structures0, people there would have lifespans of like 30-40 years.
>>
We can create settlements, and should, if only as a precaution to all out nuclear war on Earth, or some sort of ecological disaster that ravages the planet and destroys our civilization.

Mars however is simply not ideal for long-term habitation, and living there would mean humans would need to evolve to survive in the lower gravity and higher radiation. Mars lacks a magnetic field, and even if you terraform it and give it a bulky atmosphere, solar winds will sweep away the atmosphere over time, and dangerous solar radiation will still effect the planet's surface, such that you won't be able to take long walks on the surface without any sort of protection.

An underground arcology with small, sustainable populations seems like the best solution, with hydroponic agriculture to sustain it. I don't know enough about Martian geology to know if the soils there could sustain crops, maybe in greenhouses on the surface if we warmed up the atmosphere enough.

That said, the best bet would be to simply improve Earth for everyone first, it's a lot less expensive than setting up a Martian colony and terraforming a planet. We already have Earth and we need to go down to a sustainable population here first, as well as handle our own ecological and environmental problems first, before we even think of terraforming Mars. It would also make a lot more sense to me to set up a human colony on the Moon first. It's a lot easier to re-supply, and serves as a jumping off point for missions to Mars and the outer solar system. Not to mention that the Moon itself has a lot of resources that we could exploit, including water ice and minerals that can be exploited. It could also serve as a base to send out asteroid mining missions for resources.

Regardless, I would be excited for any mission to Mars simply to learn more about the planet's geology and geological history / potential deep microbial life underneath its surface.
>>
>>8534473
>>/x/>
>>
>>8534470
>we colonize mars
What do you mean by "we", Peasant?
>>
>>8535616
Human body is amazing. Only the first few generations will suffer, the rest will evolve.
>>
So how do we stop the Martians and their colony governments from going full Gundam retarded and do their own retarded revolution or attack Humans on Earth?

Or start separating Humans born on Earth from those born on Colonies? Because when given enough free space or forced into a corner, Humans have a tendency to do a retarded thing.
>>
File: WE.jpg (11KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
WE.jpg
11KB, 250x228px
>>8536013
>>
>>8536041
evolution is caused by random mutation, it doesn't happen in response to a need.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.