[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is STEM even exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: wiz-khalifa-15.jpg (128KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
wiz-khalifa-15.jpg
128KB, 700x467px
>Why is it important /sci/

Convince me to major in any STEM related field, my future is in your hands anos.
>>
I am considering giving up on STEM.
Right now I am going for an associates in CS and it's ok.

But at the same time I feel like I want to be a piano player and make good music.
I will get a job as a minimum wage programmer, learn piano, then once I am certain I can live off playing piano I will quit programming and completely forget about STEM.

STEM as a whole is really just a meme.
>>
>>8534440
>STEM as a whole is really just a meme.
Can you give me more specifics anon?
>>
>>8534446
Basically anon all of STEM is purely knowledge based.

So your ability to do STEM shit just depends on how much you know. Colleges make money by regurgitating shit you can learn by yourself but don't have the motivation to do so.

The problem with this is that knowledge becomes outdated and shit that was useful before won't be useful in the future. Thus it's a meme.
You can learn all the programming languages you want, then some new tech comes out and you will have to learn that stuff too.
Consider how much better it would be to simply study logic. If you can create logical systems, you will succeed with any programming language because logic is not a meme. You can always improve your ability to create bigger and more efficient logical systems.

So essentially, for something to not be a meme, I believe it must have some sort of measurable skill involved.
This may not be the most financially secure way to go about things in the short term, but I think learning something that has actual skill involved makes you a much more valuable candidate for job slots.
Being a good public speaker or a good leader is a skill. If you can learn these things, and are willing to hustle, you will get a job literally anywhere.
>>
>>8534440
Michael is that you?
>>
>>8534491
Whoa, John??
>>
>>8534491
yeah senpai it's me xD
>>
File: jada.jpg (28KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
jada.jpg
28KB, 500x350px
>>8534484
>Thus it's a meme.
Say no more. Innovation is a bitch desu.
>>
>>8534440
>minimum wage programmer
Is this really a thing?
>>
>>8534575
Yep sad but true
>>
>>8534407
do engineering. no meme shit like aerospace or biomedical. civil, mechanical, or electrical.

if you REALLY want to do CS, find a school with an EE/CS double major program.

you can do anything with an engineering degree. no other undergraduate degree has the same kind of versatility and freedom.

you can work in industry and do high tech shit, you can easily get a comfy "two hours of real work a day" government gig, and all you need to do to start your own business is get your PE and buy a nice desktop computer.

even if you have no interest in engineering as a profession, its just a bachelors. go do w/e the fuck you want for your masters if you really have a boner for academia. but get that engineering BS. its career insurance.
>>
>>8534484
But that is just about computer science and shit like that, right?

If you want to go into the higher fields in medicine or if you want to start research, you're going to have to study the natural sciences to get a piece of paper that says you read "natural science books so hire me"
>>
>>8534575
at a certain extent some programming is really braindead work. As long as you can type a specific subset of instructions, you're dandy.
>>
>>8534916
Mayhaps, I don't think what I said only applies to computer science.

If you are going to become a general surgeon, then it doesn't apply because I think it is fair to say that general surgery is a fully developed field that probably won't change for hundreds of years.

It all depends. Generally stuff that is set in stone like general surgery can be considered more a skill than knowledge.
Dentistry certainly is a skill. And I don't think the way people do fillings will be changing within the next 100 years.
>>
>>8534831
What's wrong with biomedical? I'm doing BIOE with a focus in essentially ChemE, we have one of the highest starting salaries and job placement rates in my school (USA: top 50 institution, top 25 engineering).
>>
>>8534831
How is aerospace engineering a meme? I was thinking of getting a masters in it.
>>
>>8534831
You're making a lot o sense senpai...
>>
>>8535064
>>8535013
because they are niche fields with only a handful of good positions.

a masters in one of those fields would be fine, but don't do your undergrad in it.
>>
>>8535109
>>>8535013
>because they are niche fields?
Are you even serious?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.