[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

YOU'LL NEVER ANSWER IT! YOU'RE NOT SMART ENOUGH!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_nukeucuJn81u6x3h6o1_500.jpg (48KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nukeucuJn81u6x3h6o1_500.jpg
48KB, 500x416px
Time Continuum (Sci-fi Riddle).

In the time continuum, you can go forward, or backward in time!
If you go back in time, you change the future; and when going forward in time, you leave parts of the past unchanged (you're missing).
You speak to four characters on your way to the Time Continuum.
The first, second and third characters, do not tell you their names; but the fourth character, tells you it's name, 'Time 4', and after, you're in the Time Continuum.
Time 4 advises you, "change as little as possible".
Question:
How do you escape (or normalize) the Time Continuum, at this point?
>>
There's something I don't like about you...
>>
>>
File: bird-lady.jpg (44KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
bird-lady.jpg
44KB, 400x309px
CaCaaaw!
>>
File: 1481232316315.jpg (21KB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
1481232316315.jpg
21KB, 400x246px
>>8532538
So you gonna keep creating retarded threads till someone posts attention to your story? Kill yourself op
>>
>>8532538
Tell the next person my name is 'Time 5' and inform them to 'change as little as possible.'
>>
File: 1420076759658.jpg (93KB, 746x691px) Image search: [Google]
1420076759658.jpg
93KB, 746x691px
>>8532538
Go backwards in time to before he tells you his name, then go forwards past that point. Since you no longer exist at that time, he doesn't tell you his name and you never enter the Time Continuum afterwords.
>>
use my EM-Drive to propel myself to OPs house and kill him, then kill myself

the easiest answers are often the best ones

qed bitches
>>
>>8532538
Thank you sincerely for posting this riddle OP, you helped me leap over my writing blockade.
>>
genre fiction plebs pls off yourselves
>>
ITT: OP talks to himself about a fiction story.
>>
>>8534161
My name is Time 9.
Don't believe OP's lies.
>>
>>8532538
>commit suicide
>>
>>8535764
by changing everything, you changed nothing
>>
>>8532538
There is not enough information for a problem to exist.

You just leave out because there's no reason to think it is impossible. the Time Continuum in this setting is clearly a place not a time.

The characters mentioned are not specified as other people or variants of yourself so there's no clarification as to the existence of a time instability at all.

If they are in fact 4 variants of you then there's no information to explain their presence in one timeline and there must be assumptions made just to find an explanation at all...

All in all... this is shit and you missed out basically everything that makes this a riddle.
>>
File: CzR88fJXUAA9mcl.jpg (85KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
CzR88fJXUAA9mcl.jpg
85KB, 900x900px
>>8537008
>>
>>8532538
Time 4 what though?
>>
>>8537032
Confusing isn't it?
>>
>>8537041
No, other anon is right that there isn't enough information to present a coherent puzzle. Why does the time continuum need to be escaped? What makes it not normalized?
>>
>>8537026
I hope that means 'hole in one'
>>
>>8537008
This anon here, I'm going to try and re-pos the riddle with information added in as best i can imagine OP intended it... gimme a while

(I really love time travel logic)
>>
>>8537067
I changed it a lot because the original was salvageable

>You exist to correct time and cannot veer from that path; your world is a single corridor that represents the past, present and future.
>As you walk forward - yourself tracking to passage of time - you meet an iteration of yourself who says nothing but passes you in the wrong direction. Another two pass until you meet a fourth.
>The fourth iteration of yourself states "Turn back now" and there are no more beyond them.

What do you choose to do? Why?

I believe there is adequate information provided, however you must check your assumptions in answering it.
>>
>>8537149
little clarification if needed, since a friend needed it:
>'correct' in this context means to 'fix' it.
>your end goal is to make sure that time runs evenly and forward
>>
>>8537163
>there are no more beyond this
Assuming that this is something you know a priori, you're coming from the future and are therefore going in the wrong temporal direction, so you'll want to turn around if you wish to preserve causality (assuming you can do so without exerting infinite energy) in accordance with your original goal.
>>
>>8537534
Hm, not too sure where you're coming from there.

for reference mine is a logic puzzle rather than physics
>>
>>8537663
I haven't heard the puzzle before, but there is a branch of logic called epistemic logic that deals woth knowledge.

Obviously either you or the copies are going in the wrong temporal direction, and I argue that it's you, because the only way that you'd know there are no more copies (after an infinite amount of time) is if you had previously came from that direction (i.e., from the past) before turning around (i.e., going back in time).
>>
>>8532538
Find the edge of the continuum and get this, ready?
Get this, become, right?
Become.
Get this, become the edge.
>>
>>8538731
the secret route?
>>
>>8538741
"suck A dick"

A clue as to the secret route!
>>
>>8537756
Yeah, I wrote it myself and there may be flaws.

The 'wrong' direction should be defined by where you intend to be and where you came from. It's possible that's the case, given the information I provided.

I did not consider that; well done, even if it's not the answer I had in mind.
>>
>>8532538

This is retarded. Obviously, if your goal is to change as little as possible, you travel back to hen you first found the time machine and shoot yourself in the head.

>>8537149

Shoot "time 4" in the head.
>>
>>8538992
>>8532538
>if your goal is to change as little as possible

Which ofc >implies that you will do as time 4 requests. But really, if I were in this situation, I would change all kinds of stuff because fuck causality.
>>
>>8538951
Sorry, I'm still not sure what the 'wrong' direction means, so I'm just going to assume that "there are no more beyond them" means that you know as part of the puzzle that you have reached the end of the time corridor, and that the objective is to suggest a sequence of actions consistent with the behavior of the other iterations of yourself.

You should let the fourth iteration pass by you without responding, then turn around and walking back the way you came. Say "Turn back now" to the first iteration of yourself that you meet (to let him know that he's reached the end) and then pass him by. Walk past the next three iterations of yourself without saying anything, then the fourth iteration will tell you to turn back (since you've now reached the other end of the corridor). Let him pass by you without responding, then instantaneously turn back etc.

I think this strategy is paradox-free?
>>
>>8539098
>I think this strategy is paradox-free?

It's a closed timeloop but that in itself is a paradox. It definitely fulfils OP's "puzzle" tho.
>>
>>8539108
I don't read sci-fi nor do I study quantum physics, so I have no idea what it means to "normalize" a continuum.
I'm guessing that means maintaining the closed timeloop, while "escaping" would mean opening it? Any deviation from the strategy should do it.

Like telling every iteration of yourself to turn back, and immediately turning around whenever told to do so. This would effectively shrink the length of the time corridor to zero and end the universe.
>>
>>8539129
>I have no idea what it means to "normalize" a continuum.

That's because OP made it up. Your solution is ingenious and should answer OP but obviously there's no paradox-free solution to any time travel puzzle, which is one of the major reasons why most scientists think time travel is impossible.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.