[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Life Sciences General?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Hey /sci/.
So I'm taking a basic (baby's first) biology class in the springtime. I need it for my community college AA (transfer degree).
I'm getting my feet wet in all kinds of subjects and can't really pick a major. I'm very optimistic about biology.
I'm just worried it won't be a very engaging class.
>tl; dr.
>OP has to take an essentials of biology class.
>OP thinks biology is cool.
>OP is afraid the class will be nothing but a professor telling us to memorize facts about cells and shit.
Also general biology thread.
>>
Well, biology helped me to realize the beauty of life on micro-level.
>>
biology isnt worth it unless your willing to commit to a career in medicine
>>
>>8530486
What about the upcoming field combining say, neurology and engineering?
Or Biology and neurology?
We're making strides toward integrating technology and biology everyday( and by we, I mean people very ahead of me).
>>
If medecine isnt a science, then is biology a science?

Sry to steal your thread, op. I love biology too
>>
>>8530494
Nah anon, OP doesn't mind.
Just talk about stuff to give me a break from studying for finals.
>>
>>8530494
Of course biology is a science.
Don't be goofy anon.
>>
File: 1481344694666.jpg (191KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1481344694666.jpg
191KB, 1024x768px
>>8530500
>>8530523
Ok
>>
>>8530460
Despite what the undergrads on here will tell you, biology is a great science. I studied it in college and am now a postdoc in evolutionary bio. A lot of the basic bio classes are rote memorization but higher level ones are worth it IMO.

Some of the shit you'll learn in intro. bio (how plants have sex) is a mindfuck.
>>
>>8530460
>>OP is afraid the class will be nothing but a professor telling us to memorize facts about cells and shit.
That's exactly what it will be. Biology at that level doesn't require any critical thinking
>>
>>8531656
Grad student in Bio here as well, this is pretty spot on.

A lot of the higher level courses are really, really interesting. I learned more in my seminars then I did in actual classes. Just muscle through the shitty intro coursework. The upper levels are most definitely worth it, especially once you get past the large class sizes.

As far as job prospects, it's honestly not that bad if you have a plan. Even if you aren't going into medical there are still plenty of opportunities. Personally, I'm going into government work.

Just make sure you have a game plan before you graduate. Good luck.
>>
>>8531656
>>8531946

Will you get to learn the good stuff in a degree that isn't directly biology?

Like, environmental science, bio-informatics, medecine or bio chemistry ?
>>
>>8532091
Depends on how big your school is. I go to one of the top 10 largest universities in the nation, so we have a pretty robust Environment and Natural Resources department that mostly covers the more practical biology in terms of restoration, conservation and wildlife management.

I would say the answer is yes, but you may need to look at course offerings outside of your department, specifically. It's never a bad idea to take them.

Microbiology is also broadly applicable.
>>
>>8532091
Yes, biology is an inherently complex field that has subfields like "statistical phylo-geography" and "biogeochemistry".

I recommend you take note of the aspects of intro bio that interest you (not those that you necessarily grasp the easiest) and take more specialized courses in those fields. It also pays to volunteer to do grunt work in biology labs on your campus to get a feel for the work.
>>
File: 1446874200658.jpg (198KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
1446874200658.jpg
198KB, 500x708px
>>8531656
>how plants have sex
I-its j-just.. benis in faginia, r-right?
>>
>>8532108
>>8532360
Thanks, I'm hyped.
>>
>>8531665
When does it, anon?
How far must I go?
>>
>>8530494
Biology is to medicine as Physics is to engineering
>>
Structural Biology is best biology
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.