[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fukushima / Chernobyl

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Which of these accidents was worse?

It is my understanding that the Chernobyl core melted out of the containment vessel whereas the Fukushima cores did not, is this right?

Why did the Russians manage to fuck it up on there end so badly? Were building standards really that primitive compared to what we have today?
>>
Open. Chernobyl is stable, Fukushima is not.
>>
File: 69739923.png (43KB, 759x685px) Image search: [Google]
69739923.png
43KB, 759x685px
Chernobyl was worse. The type of reactor in Chernobyl doesn't really have a containment vessel, so when it blew up the reactor core was out in the open. The graphite in the reactor caught fire and the smoke transported radioactive material high into the atmosphere, allowing it to spread over a wide area.

I don't know as much about Fukushima, but AFAIK the reactors shut down after the earthquake, but the cooling system was destroyed. That means that a lot of hydrogen gas is generated in the still hot reactor, and they had to vent it out in order to avoid an explosion. This radioactive steam contaminated the area around it, but didn't spread very far and there was less radioactive material released overall.
>>
>>8529403
Chernobyl was by far worse but this is also true.

Give it 30 years and ask again I guess.
>>
>>8529508
Unfortunately, at Fukushima they couldn't get permission/were unable to vent the hydrogen at first, causing a couple of the reactor buildings (not the reactors themselves) to blow up.
>>
>>8529374
>It is my understanding that the Chernobyl core melted out of the containment vessel

>Chernobyl
>containment vessel
>>
>>8529513

Chernobyl does not have a river/lake/OCEAN right beside it where the corium has gone down into the final concrete layer of protection which is badly damaged perhaps even breached allowing radiation to get into the ground water and the ocean water itself.

This video explains it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMaEjEWL6PU
>>
>>8529581
Isn't water a really effective radiation shield, though? So we wouldn't have to worry much about them becquerels (ignoring the material's toxicity when ingested)
>>
>>8529604
Water does shield radiation, but that doesn't help you when you drink it.
If you drink contaminated water, some amount of the radioactive materials within will settle somewhere in your body and damage you.

Aren't they continually cooling the remains of the core though? I'm not massively worried about that stuff breaching the concrete then.
>>
positive void coefficient
>>
File: 1480623422986.png (315KB, 424x365px) Image search: [Google]
1480623422986.png
315KB, 424x365px
>Secret Nip illuminati members have meeting with Godzilla
>Godzilla agrees to attack the United States as revenge for Hiroshima and Nagasaki
>Asks for gamma radiation in exchange (since it makes him stronger)
>Nips engineer the Fukushima disaster, and allow it to leak radioactive material into the environment

I don't know very much about Chernobyl, but I can tell you that the Jews had a direct role in it.
>>
Since when made to fail engeneering is accident?
>>
>>8529604

You still don't want that stuff leaking into the ocean.
>>
You pols aren't trying to somehow link this to /tv anymore
>>>/pol/
>>
>>8531101

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8529689
You could probably get quite far on some boards with that theory, sadly. Insert Hillary and /k/ and /pol/ would go apeshit and start #FukushimaGate
>>
File: 220px-Radioactive.svg_.png (6KB, 220x193px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Radioactive.svg_.png
6KB, 220x193px
USSR 1957
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster
UK 1957
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire
USA 1952/1958
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalk_River_Laboratories
USA 1979
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident
>>
>>8529374
Chernobyl was worse. No earthquakes and it still failed on it's own.
>>
File: sfsfsdf.jpg (9KB, 174x260px) Image search: [Google]
sfsfsdf.jpg
9KB, 174x260px
mildly relevant
>>
Chernobyl killed people. Fukushima as of yet hasn't. Plus like >>8533358 said, even with all the issues Fukushima had, it was still hit by an earthquake and tsunami while Chernobyl from what I remember was during some test and was completely human error/incompetence.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.