[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do these things work? It just doesn't make any sense... wtf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: glacier.jpg (650KB, 1800x1163px) Image search: [Google]
glacier.jpg
650KB, 1800x1163px
How do these things work?

It just doesn't make any sense... wtf
>>
Sometimes I look in the freezer and notice the ice in the ice maker is taking on shapes different from when the ice has just been freshly made. The ice chips melt a little bit and refreeze and melt together.
>>
>>8528512
Our planet's goddamn beautiful isn't she?
>>
>>8528512
What's the conundrum - what's your actual question?
>>
>>8528512
Let that be a lesson. Your common sense is a good guide to hunting down something to eat, not to how the world works on larger or smaller scales. It lies to you.
>>
Ice isn't a 100% solid. Is there anything in this universe that won't succumb to the effect of the pitch drop experiment given and infinite amount of time?
>>
>>8528722

er.... the apparatus used to test it?
>>
>>8528522
>she
fucken dropped
>>
File: 776.gif (849KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
776.gif
849KB, 200x200px
>>8528742
>>
>>8528722
These aren't the same effects.
>>
>>8528512
the lower layers melt due to pressure, this makes the glacier flow.
>>
>>8529309
I actually did some calculation in a thermo class once where we had to calculate the height of an ice statue so that it would melt under it's own pressure when the temperatue rises from about -20C to -1C.

The height required was about 1300m
>>
>>8529309
>>8529361
For glaciers, the zone of flow starts at a minimum depth of 50m.
>>
>>8529512
Crevasses scare the shit out of me
>>
>>8528722
I think I know the phenomenon you're referring to. But what's the 9-volt battery for?
>>
>>8529563
Scale?
>>
>>8529555
There is nothing at all to be afraid of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjUUgJgxJ4
>>
>>8529737
Well I am never going to ski now.
>>
>>8529512
>you drill a hole into the glacier
>wait 10 years
>world's longest slip & slide
>>
>>8529512
Melting point changes with pressure. Thus at sufficient depth the glacier will be plastic and any borehole will close in quickly.

The drawing does not appear to take sufficient account of temperature.
>>
>>8530113
It's only when skiing on glaciers.

There's soo many other things to worry about when skiing.

t. ski patroller.
>>
>>8528722
Pure crystalline carbon.
>>
REALLY LOW REYNOLDS NUMBER
>>
>>8528512
It's fake.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.