[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fire and kinetic energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1476134488719.gif (2MB, 395x272px) Image search: [Google]
1476134488719.gif
2MB, 395x272px
So I don't know if this is going to gtet a bunch of trolls or real answers, but I really would like to hear some opinions of regular peope and get a quicker response.

I am considering writing a story that would have the main character have telekinesis, and the co-main character having pyrokinesis. I was considering a slightly more scientific (probably something between a 2 and a 3 on the moh's scale of science fiction hardness) approach to the telekinesis where the main character absorbs kinetic energy and stores it to redistribute later.

My question is, if the other main character released it in a wave that hit the main character, would he be able to absorb the energy from the flames?
>>
>>8524090
Why doesnt the character with telekinesis just win every fight by crushing the opponents brain.
>>
>>8524093
Thanks for the idea, might use that midway through, but I gotta make it tougher than just that to keep the story interesting. I plan to have the opponents have their own defenses to keep it from going Mary Sue.
>>
>>8524090

What defense is there to that though?
"Oh, I'm just gonna crush those veins in your brain and you die".

As an RPGer, I've always found manipulating kinetic energy to be bullshit, coz you can pretty much manipulate the energy and position of atoms.
Make artificial gravity by moving things superfast in a localised space. Crush, scatter or disintegrate things by imparting energy to atoms. Move fast by imparting energy on me and my surroundings. Halt harmful objects in their tracks. generate or remove heat by providing absorbing ambient kinetic energy.
Cough, bullshit, cough. Though I don't know how stringent you'll be in your world.

There is no real way to make it not bullshit. Either your character is an idiot and can't apply his abilities fully, he's OP af and is only hampered by his crippling social anxiety and poor fashion sense, or he's restricted in some ridiculous way that pretty much makes it that "oh, i don't have telekinesis, i just have this really limited and totally situational 'power' ".

As for this pyromancer fellow, you'd need to define what he does. Does he manipulate the thermal energy of objects, causing spontaneous combustion? Does he just project flame (and if so, how? Fires gotta burn something)? Is it FMA Mustang style air modification?
>>
>>8524231
Thank you for this, actually. A harsh dose of reality will always make me a better writer. It's tough to create a god superpower without just all the plot-holes.
>>
>>8524246
good, not god
>>
>>8524246

Didn't mean to be cruel, just blunt. If you're aware of the issues from the outset, you avoid getting stuck in a corner story writing and design wise
>>
>>8524246
Make up some mumbo jumbo about people having their own psychic field in their body he cannot penetrate, and him not skilled enough to do all that shit.

As for absorbing the energy of the flames you're the author, you make the rules.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.