[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PROGRAMMING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1475505612272.png (237KB, 500x850px) Image search: [Google]
1475505612272.png
237KB, 500x850px
Not sure if this should go here or /g/ or /adv/ but I'm curious about programming languages, or more specifically, how much effort it requires to learn one.

Turns out for an applied math degree you need to know how to use ANY programming language (in order to take a couple of the required classes), so if I were to try and learn a programming language on my own during the summer (as someone with no experience in coding), how much effort would I need to put forth to accomplish this? And what kinds of languages should I consider?

Pic obviously unrelated
>>
>>8519913
How can you even get a degree in maths without learning Python, R or Matlab? Learn to use one of them. It takes maybe one day to learn to do basic stuff, if you already understand how algorithms work and know how to google. It takes probably few weeks to learn to use it well enough to not have to google everything.
>>
>>8519913
Learn Python. It's not that hard. Couple of hours a week. Daily would be better
>>
>>8519913
It took me months to learn my first programming language. C++.

Yesterday I signed up to get a certificate in Xamarin programming and I needed to know C# but I've never seen nor written C# so I downloaded a pdf and learn C# in like an hour.

So the answer is a lot of effort for the first time
No effort at all the second time.

And I'd recommend you learn a hard language like C++ because C#, Java, Visual Basic, Javascript, etc. are all C++ lite so if you were to learn javascript and then move on to C++ you may have a huge problem with moving from C++ to javascript will be like literally having to know less because by simply knowing C++ you know too much about javascript.
>>
>>8519913
>applied math degree

[math]Undergrad[/math] applied math majors tend to be watered down math degrees for lazy students. "Applied Analysis" is just a stripped down real analysis class with some complex variables stuff thrown in. "Applied Algebra" is just the basics of group and number theory with RSA thrown in for application. To do graduate applied math (mathematical finance, information & coding theory, applied functional analysis, numerical analysis, etc), you need a firm foundation in Abstract Algebra and Analysis that those watered down courses simply won't give you.
>>
>>8519913
>so if I were to try and learn a programming language on my own during the summer

Why not start over the winter?

>(as someone with no experience in coding), how much effort would I need to put forth to accomplish this?

Get a textbook (not a one page online guide), read chapters, do the exercises, and understand it. Starting out programming might feel a little alien but that passes and you get the hang of it. Once you're done with the book, get a data structures and algorithms textbook and practice implementing the stuff you read about.

>And what kinds of languages should I consider?

What kind of careers are you looking for? If you want to go into financial engineering, C++. If you're interested in the "big data" meme, R. If you want to work with numerical stuff, Matlab/C++.
>>
>>8519958
>>8519913
>>8519928

First one takes a while however with a background in abstraction of problems in math should have no problem with languages, learn Python first will force your code to look nice and it's essentially psuedo code. At this point you learn your next language based on needs.
>>
>>8520145
It's not my primary major (that would be physics). It was recommended that certain math classes (complex variable, combinatorics, numerical analysis, and differential equations applications) are helpful if you're going onto grad school for physics.

So I'm taking an extra year and doing a BA in applied math.
>>
>>8520294
>combinatorics
>differential equations applications
>are helpful if you're going onto grad school for physics

No. Pure math subjects like PDEs, Theoretical Linear Algebra, Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Topology, and Differential Geometry are useful in physics. Applied math will leave you unprepared to learn advanced physics.

Take a look at the table of contents for a mathematical physics book:
http://assets.cambridge.org/97805218/29601/toc/9780521829601_toc.pdf
>>
>>8520337
Well when the hell do physicists usually learn all this math? Only a small percentage of my class is doing a math minor, never mind a second degree in math.
>>
>>8520377
grad school?
>>
>>8520393
So I don't have to worry about math in my undergrad if I don't want to (besides the required courses)?
>>
>>8520377
Only a small percentage of physics majors go on to graduate school.
>>
>>8520401
No, you either take classes in math in undergrad and/or you self teach the material on your own. You can't skip advanced math.
>>
>>8520402
I thought it was like the majority? What do you do with just a bachelors in physics anyway?
>>
>>8520424

Become a software developer, work in finance/banking, teaching, or go into business.
>>
>>8520420

Take a look at any graduate level physics book.
>>
>>8519913
Quick question

If I know Java to how hard would it be to learn all the other languages?
>>
>>8521105
>It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to Java: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
>The use of Java cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense.
>~Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
>>
Just pick up a book on C or C++ and call it a day
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.