[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: phd.jpg (469KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
phd.jpg
469KB, 2592x1944px
Why not get a fulltime job and do your Ph.D while working a real job?

OK it will take you 6 years instead of 3-4 but you will have a much higher income, job experience, and you don't have to correct hundreds of student assignment for peanuts.

Why does nobody do this? Is it just out of laziness (gov funding is enough to live on).
>>
>>8517990

coz its probably hard and stressful?
>>
>>8517991

It doesn't have to be stressful. You can take as long as you want. Work at it slowly.

If you have a solid income, what's the rush for?

My reasoning is based on the observation that Ph.Ds don't seem to have all that much time to work on their thesis either, what with all the extra stuff they have to do. It's like the thesis is an afterthought in between their "real" duties.
>>
>>8517990
(You) from TU Delft?
>>
>>8517995

you can easily say, if you're being funded then why would you need to do the other job.
>>
>>8517995
Cuz people who work don't want to be studying at the same time. If you were to try it, you would know, as one occupation harms the other.
Since I'm 18 (i'm 26 now) that I have been doing both (working and studying) and I don't recommend it to anyone. But I'm a poorfag so there's no other way
>>
>>8517991
And getting a PhD straight out isn't? Do you plant to live with your parents for the rest of your life?
>>
>>8517990
Reminder that OP's way of doing PhD in any field of science is the only rational one, unless you really are a top prospect for science community, which most people aren't.
>>
>>8518050

are you dumb. majority of phd students dont live with their parents, they can live off their own funding just fine and i think its pretty much well known to everyone that its harder to juggle two different things than focus on one thing at a time, i know its probably hard and stressful but do you really want to make it more so? So answer please, are you dumb?
>>
>>8518058
How would I find a job that allows me to do this? Are companies actually willing to do these kinds of things, they don't seem to directly benefit the company much?
>>
>>8518059
How's that research funding going for you? About to make it to a tenure anytime soon? Or are you just sliding from part-time job to another?
>>
>>8518060
Certainly depends on your field of interest. Mechanic engineers are more wanted by private industry than Quantum Mechanics engineers.
>>
It'd be extremely difficult to write a thesis if you're working 9-5.
>>
>>8518071
Most companies are willing to pay for your doctoral thesis if it benefits them in someway, is that not the case in USA?
>>
>>8518026

Nee, maar ik woon in Nederland :)

>>8518058

That's exactly my concern. Plus I am not necessarily attracted to the whole "being on a tenure track" thing because it sounds like bullshit frankly.

>>8518059
>>8518029

The problem with funding is that you get no job security out of it and no job experience either. So then your risk of ending up unemployed and unable to find a job because you're overqualified or whatever, increases.

>>8518060

I don't know in other countries but a 35 hour work week is normal in the Netherlands. You could probably squeeze 12 hours of Ph.D work in there.
>>
>>8518096
So what's your field of interest in physics? Black holes tend to employ less people than energy technics or anything related to mechanics.
>>
>>8518096
Please stop perpetuation the overqualified meme.
The only jobs you'll be overqualified for a shit jobs you'd never apply for anyways.
>>
>>8518124
Not a meme at all. Think about it. Would you rather hire some graduate fresh out of school than some washed out PhD who went balls deep into some niche subject which has no relevance whatsoever to given industry?
>>
>>8518077
The financial cost isn't the problem. It's the time you'd have to spend on it. Most places won't let you drop your job while you go get a degree. Some will let you reduce hours, but reduced hours == less pay == tighter budget.
>>
>>8518132
>no relevance whatsoever to given industry
there's your problem
>>
File: 1479949885826.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479949885826.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Well. In Germany 70%~ of all students are having a part-time job on the side. Likewise, it's pretty much considered "normal" to work.
Are Americans that lazy? Telling themselves they can't work beside studying?

The majority of people here work 15 - 20 hours/week and are studying. So I really tend to believe that "muh can't concentrate on both" are just lazy excuses out of comfort.
>>
>>8518118

At this point the only fields I find interesting are Quantum Computing or Nuclear Physics (energy wise).

What kind of mechanics fields are you talking about that have potential for employing people?
>>
>>8518134
They damn pay you to solve their problems, from which you conduct you doctoral thesis.
>>
>>8518135
Your either delusional bachelor or fearful graduate student.
>>
>>8517995
>You can take as long as you want. Work at it slowly.
This doesn't really work for sciences where you have to deal with natural time frames that can't be changed very much, like biology.
>>
>>8518142
If your from Netherlands, your degree should be well employable all around Europe, you all speak english on native level as well.
My advice would be to go search for a job abroad, from some energy related field (which is vast and vide, just do a little research, there's surely something for your interests) or if you have some software/programming experience, apply to some company working on robotics.

Quantum Computing is pretty much academy/theory nowadays, but getting hands on experience working in the industry does no harm.

My few cents.
>>
Lab work takes all day, no time for a job.

Besides, I don't have to TA at all and I still get paid a comfortable salary.
>>
>>8518175
>>8518136
>>
>>8518132
If you think the only skills you pick up during a PhD are knowledge about an very specific field, you're fucking retarded.

>how to do research
>how to think deeply about a problem
>networking
>communication of complex problems

to name a few
>>
>>8517990
>Why not get a fulltime job and do your Ph.D while working a real job?

For my PhD I had to sign a contract saying I wouldn't take any other jobs while I was studying. This was pretty common in my field, and I assumed it was in other fields?

Also, I average 9/10 hours a day working on my PhD, so I really wouldn't have the time, even if I wanted to.
>>
>>8518180
>t. never worked in tech industry.

Good luck.
>>
>>8518187
Like I said, only overqualified for shit-tier jobs
>>
>>8518136
Around 80% of American students work part time while enrolled.

Universities in the USA have a policy of discouraging students from working more than 15 hours a week. This policy is in response to research that indicated this was the optimal amount of time that students should work without significantly impairing their academic performance.

Working as a graduate student is different. You are usually paid so there is no need to take on additional work but many programs are flexible and can allow you to work as long as you have their approval. Generally you will want to focus on your research.
>>
I do this. Its called an EngD.

>phd-level research qualification
>4 years long
>stipend 50% larger than phd
> work experience
>guaranteed job at the end
>get put through taught courses in business as well as technical courses
>>
>>8518192
Which jobs have you been to lately? And which ones are you going to be in the future after you paddle through your PhD?
What do you have that every grad.student doesn't? And don't give me that problem solving and critical thinking bullshit, everyone at that point has that. Only thing that matters are connections and you damn well ain't making them while pandering on your thesis problems in your office/library/mom's basement.
>>
>>8517990
>OK it will take you 6 years instead of 3-4

LOL. You are delusional if you think it normally takes a PhD only 3-4 years.
>>
>>8518208
>Only thing that matters are connections and you damn well ain't making them while pandering on your thesis problems in your office/library/mom's basement.

Lies from a capitalist dog. You can easily make connections as a graduate student. My PI spends some time working at a national laboratory where he got a job for one of the phd graduates from the group.
>>
>>8518257
>You can easily make connections as a graduate student.

Surely, but I thought this was about first completing your PhD and the landing a job? Where are you atm?
>>
>>8518271
>Surely, but I thought this was about first completing your PhD and the landing a job?
That's what I'm saying. A PhD is like a job, if you are good you will make the connections required to get a good job after graduating.
>>
>>8518284
Well if that's truly your case, I hope for the best.

Godspeed.
>>
>>8518178
I work 40 hours a week in the lab minimum. Any literature reading I might do is done outside work on my own time. My salary is priced with the expectation that I treat the labwork as a full time job.
>>
>>8517990
t. Never had a full time job or a PhD

Being a PhD candidate is pretty much a full time job. You would have to be some next level workaholic to try to do another job on top of it.

The only people who actually do this are doing their doctoral work on whatever work they do for their company. And even then, it's incredibly stressful and takes them 4-6 years.
>>
ITT: lazy faggots
>>
>>8518210
Time to graduation is dependent on advisor. This is something I didn't know when I started. My advisor doesn't push student that hard to they regularly take about 6 years. There is another professor in the department that pushes students out in 4 years like clockwork.

This is a good question to ask other grad students if you get accepted and invited to the school to check out the program before making your decision.
>>
>>8517990
>Why not get a fulltime job and do your Ph.D while working a real job?

>Why does nobody do this? Is it just out of laziness (gov funding is enough to live on).

Because the PhD is a full-time -- if not a full-time and a half -- job. (My first two years, with classes and prelim exams, I was doing 70 - 90 hours/week. Now in my third year, without coursework, at least 55 - 60+ hours.) And, you're paid a stipend to live on. It's not enough to save for retirement or support a family, but, depending on what part of the country you're in, you can get by and have a decent life.

>OK it will take you 6 years instead of 3-4 but you will have a much higher income, job experience, and you don't have to correct hundreds of student assignment for peanuts.

In the U.S., most STEM PhD programs take 5 - 7 years.
>>
>Not being assistents at Uni while you work on your phd
You are doing it wrong
>>
> doing a PhD in a technical field
> Competing with a million Chinese students who are bred to excel

Face it innovation is over and the system is dried up. It doesn't work like that anymore. There is nothing to get. You will not get a comfy job because they don't exist. There is no "plenty room at the bottom", no neurobiology revolution, no AI revolution. You are getting memed by people who make a living meming others (faculty staff, politicians, tech journals). The likelihood of your research being relevant is close to 0, meanwhile you get milked my your uni.
>>
>>8518463
>My advisor doesn't push student that hard to they regularly take about 6 years. There is another professor in the department that pushes students out in 4 years like clockwork.
I would rather have the first advisor. Science never works out like you think it's going to, so those 4-year students are probably busting their ass because the lab is toxic or the PI is a slavedriver.
>>
>>8518026
TU DELFT HIER
FACULTEIT EWI (TW)
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.