[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maths Olympiad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 2000px-IMO_logo.svg_-1.png (118KB, 2000x1373px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-IMO_logo.svg_-1.png
118KB, 2000x1373px
Anyone here ever joined a Maths Olympiad competition or any other well known maths competition? I just got selected to represent my university for an inter-university competition. I want to hear your thoughts and experiences.
>>
>>8515176
bumping for interest
>>
>>8515176
I have been selected for the "Concours Général" in France, the exam was as a level completely different from what i have seen before.

The fun fact is that we had 6 houre to do it but it wasn't even made to be finished
>>
>>8515176
you will get raped
>>
The putnam was just administered, with the almighty triforce problem.
>>
>>8515176
I made it to the Canadian mathematical olympiad once in high school although I didn't do extraordinarily well on it.

I can't speak for other countries but in Canada probably 90+% of the winners each year are chinks who've been in a competition cram program since they were 5.

I got to meet some incredibly bright people in those prep programs in HS and I liked learning the math they taught but I never liked the problems much.
Contest problems are set up to be hard, not to be particularly interesting, and usually set up to require a particular cute trick to break. If you like doing hard things just because they're hard you'll probably enjoy them.

And the other posters are right. On any remotely higher-level contest you're going to get assfucked without extensive prep, even if you're a genius. You need to have a feeling for what each contest and each style of problem will generally want you to try.
>>
>>8515176
When I was 12 years old I was the first of my département at the "Kangaroo concous"

That is all
>>
>>8515310
6 hours?? The selection tests for my uni was 3 hours each and even that tired me out.

>it wasn't even made to be finished
Why do you say that?
>>
>>8515361
>usually set up to require a particular cute trick to break.
Most of the selection tests in my uni felt that way. It felt more like a puzzle competition to be honest, but fun nonetheless
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.