[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /sci/. What is the best precalculus book in your opinion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1480701671237.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480701671237.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
Hello, /sci/. What is the best precalculus book in your opinion? Cohen? Larson? Axler? Aiming at something for self-study
>>
>>8513673
What really is precalculus? Polynomials and stuff? You probably don't need a book, there are plenty of online materials
>>
>>8513677
fundamentals, functions (exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric), polynomial, limits, vectors, sequences and series
>>
>>8513686
I've heard good things about Cohen. What's your end goal?
>>
>>8513689
To have a better grip on fundamentals before starting out Calculus.
>>
>>8513695
Starting calculus at uni or self-teaching? If uni, get the most rigorous text you can, something that will give you epsilon-delta continuity definitions etc.
>>
>>8513689
>>8513701
my goal is being able to keep up with the courses at uni next year (planning to start computer science, which is very math centered in my country/uni). My highschool class had a bio-chemical profile so I never really studied math seriously
>>
>>8513709
I don't know then, is Rudin considered precalc? It'll give you a solid foundation. Although it doesn't touch on stuff like logs, trig, etc.
>>
>>8513714
Don't think it's elemental enough. I think I'm gonna go with Larson, because I also found solutions book for it
>>
>>8513724
Just skimmed through the PDF and Larson looks good. Some of the later chapters (conics, parametric equations, change of basis) have some stuff equal to the difficulty of what you should expect in a first calc course at uni.
>>
>>8513714
Fucking Rudin, what, are you retarded? Precalculus is like the basics of limits and trig functions and that shit, not goddamn real analysis.
>>
>>8513789
Kek it's been a while since I've been in uni. I seem to remember baby Rudin being tricky but not having much on differentiation/integration, and a fuck ton on limits and continuity and point set topology
>>
>>8513673

Cohen or Simmon if you're learning it for the first time
Lang if you need a brisk and precise refresher
Gelfand if you don't "get math" and need "the love of math" beaten into you
>>
>>8513695

Master algebra then derive calc equations from it. Much easier than trying to learn calc as a "different" subject. Everything in math is easier if you're good at algebra as much as I hate to admit it. Don't get too fixated on the definitions of limits too. It is a rabbit hole. You'll end up in DST land which has no exit.

How is your algebra? How is your logic?
>>
>>8513673
Using Larson at the moment, relatively good if just solely using the textbook. Some of the explanations are somewhat diluted, but you can use outside resources to clarify.
>>
As someone that has been in your situation before, use Cohen. He gives you everything you need and is easy to follow and interesting. He even does the occasional proof (they're not hard) which broadens your understanding. Afterwards if you want to keep going get a hold of Calculus by Spivak. That should do you nearly 2 years.
>>
>>8513714
>is Rudin considered precalc?
This is the most /sci/ post I have ever seen
>>
>>8514278
And do you have solutions manual for cohen in pdf?
>>
Ok guys, OP here. Checked out everything. Although it's the stewart's precalc book I like the most, I can't find the solutions manual to it (or to any other you recommended). So I'll go with Larson (precalc with limits) and possibly Gelfand for algebra training.
>>
>>8513673
steward calculus has a good introduction section
>>
Either Simmons or Axler. Lang's Basic Mathematics is good too.
>>
>>8514527

Stitz and Zeager is what you want for precalc OP.
>>
Dude precalc is baby shit
you should just use khan academy or something desu
>>
>>8514990
do they have exercises there?
>>
>>8514975
Could you elaborate? Why do you think it's good?
>>
File: khan.png (171KB, 1879x946px) Image search: [Google]
khan.png
171KB, 1879x946px
>>8515418
You sure as fuck know it does.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.